Hey guy's, finally ready to get the engine running right on my exc. I want to go with a Vortex, but I'm worried a bit about the legalities of it. Has anyone ever been inspected on the roadside by CHP or other enforcement agencies? I hope I'm just being extremely paranoid, I won't really be riding on the street much if at all. I am in California by the way. I've got an aftermarket exhaust tip, and lowered the gearing a bit. The videos from KTMandHusky seem very well thought out and informative, has anyone used the their products long term? Thanks for any help. Braaap!!!

I wouldn’t worry about it.  The ecu is under the seat.  No cop will be able to tell if it is stock or modified.  Emission equipment is another matter.  Personally, I didn’t remove mine, as I have zero issues with popping on decel, and there are no performance gains to be had by removing it.  And there is some noise in Sac about smog inspections for motorcycles.  If you do remove it, save the pieces.

• Helpful 1

I've got an aftermarket exhaust tip,

Thanksfor any help.

Which exhaust tip did you go with? I just got a new 2018 as well and was thinking of getting one also.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Ed Tatum said:

Hey guy's, finally ready to get the engine running right on my exc. I want to go with a Vortex, but I'm worried a bit about the legalities of it. Has anyone ever been inspected on the roadside by CHP or other enforcement agencies? I hope I'm just being extremely paranoid, I won't really be riding on the street much if at all. I am in California by the way. I've got an aftermarket exhaust tip, and lowered the gearing a bit. The videos from KTMandHusky seem very well thought out and informative, has anyone used the their products long term? Thanks for any help. Braaap!!!

It’s a fix it ticket and no cop or CHP will ask you to take the seat off. Leave emission stuff on but plug the air injection. Remove the reed intake and add Vortex. No cop is asking you to take the seat off on the side of the road. And if they do tell them to get a search warrant. Seriously. 

I'd bet the pipe will get the most attention. Some cops hate loud bikes. Luckily you went with a spark arrester screen, not a slip on, so your muffler still says it's road legal

11 hours ago, Ed Tatum said:

that's a great question and it makes laugh my ass off. think about all those noisey ground pounding HD's out there. cops wont notice you unless your hanging a wheelie through downtown. ive been riding KTM dirt-bikes with a plate , fake mirror and a NiCad battery to power my tail light  since 1997  but as long as the regi is good your cool. my 17 500 lost 4.5 lbs of garbage a week after I bought it and has been everywhere without a hitch. got pulled over on the 405 in OC one day for speeding , the cop said "you know how fast you were going ?" I sad "full throttle" about 83 mph I estimated quietly. he looked at the bike 1988 XT 350 and told me to be careful and no ticket.

Vortex makes the 500 come to life

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

that's a great question and it makes laugh my ass off. think about all those noisey ground pounding HD's out there. cops wont notice you unless your hanging a wheelie through downtown. ive been riding KTM dirt-bikes with a plate , fake mirror and a NiCad battery to power my tail light  since 1997  but as long as the regi is good your cool. my 17 500 lost 4.5 lbs of garbage a week after I bought it and has been everywhere without a hitch. got pulled over on the 405 in OC one day for speeding , the cop said "you know how fast you were going ?" I sad "full throttle" about 83 mph I estimated quietly. he looked at the bike 1988 XT 350 and told me to be careful and no ticket.

Hahahaha cause he didn’t believe you could have gone much over the speed limit. He was worried you’d show a picture  of the bike to the judge and win the case. Well either that or he felt sorry for you riding around the freeway on a 350. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anectodal evidence... Every cop is different.

Hahaha, hey thanks a lot for the info and the laughs. I'll vortex up hear real soon, and finally get to ride this beast, I can't wait.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ed Tatum said:

Hahaha, hey thanks a lot for the info and the laughs. I'll vortex up hear real soon, and finally get to ride this beast, I can't wait.

It turns the bike from a lamb to a lion. Make sure you post up after you rip it with the vortex. 

Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 9:40 AM, hndardr said:

I've got an aftermarket exhaust tip,

Thanksfor any help.

Which exhaust tip did you go with? I just got a new 2018 as well and was thinking of getting one also.

Thanks

I've got the Fastway Promoto billet, I also picked up the quiet turndown piece too, don't know how much I'll use it. I also got a 13 tooth front sprocket, 1 tooth smaller, that way I can still use the stock chain. I haven't actually ridden the bike with the tip yet. May wait to get the vortex hooked up

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ed Tatum said:

I've got the Fastway Promoto billet, I also picked up the quiet turndown piece too, don't know how much I'll use it. I also got a 13 tooth front sprocket, 1 tooth smaller, that way I can still use the stock chain. I haven't actually ridden the bike with the tip yet. May wait to get the vortex hooked up

Promoto billet is the go to exhaust tip other than a fmf muffler. But it’s pretty much the same thing and not too loud. 

• Like 1

Did you look at any of the kits from ktmandhusky? I'm thinking the 2nd kit they sale I think it's $700...

Have an 18 500 exc-f w/ Vortex, plugged smog & different muffler tip. No problems in the several months I’ve owned it & I doubt I will. I did save all original parts just in case they start smogging bikes  in the future or next owner wants to go back to stock. The bike is fantastic w/ the Vortex, air box mods, blocked air pump, &  less restrictive tip. 

• Like 1

I have an 18 500 excf with the whole deal. FMF 4.1 exhaust, Vortex ECU, KTM/husky emission delete kit, removed reeds in intake and 1 tooth down on countershaft sprocket. WOW.....what a difference that made. The bike is a whole different animal. Runs strong and clean from idle to redline. More power than you can imagine, front wheel is light all the way thru 6th. You’ll end up spending over $1000 and it’s all worth it. I doubt the police will ever bother you unless your getting their attention somehow. Have fun with your bike. They are lots of fun.

oh ya and one more thing. The ignition relocation modification. These parts came from earlier year models. 2 parts are needed.

KTM part #s. 78111065050 ignition bracket and 58411066450 washer. These 2 items will allow you to mount the ignition so that the key comes in from the right hand side, as you sit on bike. Much better than trying to get the key in from the top while contorting around various cables and bark busters. A must have item for less than $10 before shipping.

Edited by DanHall
  • Like 4

On 10/18/2018 at 10:53 PM, hndardr said:
On 10/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, Ed Tatum said:

Read more  

Did you look at any of the kits from ktmandhusky? I'm thinking the 2nd kit they sale I think it's $700...

Save your money and buy a vortex and not their rebrand. A lot of snake oil peddling over there...

24 minutes ago, mbrick said:

Save your money and buy a vortex and not their rebrand. A lot of snake oil peddling over there...

I don't think vortex has a rebrand , or are you trying to elude that's what KTM HUsky has.

He was the only one who knew the proper vorterx set up out of 99% here who have them or sell them, he 's not stupid.

6 hours ago, Spud786 said:

I don't think vortex has a rebrand , or are you trying to elude that's what KTM HUsky has.

He was the only one who knew the proper vorterx set up out of 99% here who have them or sell them, he 's not stupid.

Believe this post was referring to his tuner as a “rebrand” of the JD which is a controller made by someone else that JD has licensed. I think KTM/Husky guy gets a lot of sh&t on this board and I am not sure why. I know he has competition from people who also are trying to make money who post in here. But man, people love to hate him. One has to think about his motives. He’s just trying to make a living! So what if people feel his schtick is silly....you don’t like him or feel his fuel rail and exhaust manifold are “snake oil” DONT BUY IT!! lol. This particular sub thread is full of people who spent $11,000+ on a toy and who are constantly spending more money on them just for shits and giggles. I would say we are a ripe group for “snake oil salesmen!”  Education is the key. I don’t think anyone who is able to buy this bike is going to be in a world of hurt if they end up plunking down $300 on his gimmicks. Geez. So much hate. Yeah. Vortex is the way to go. Next best thing is the fuel controller by JD or the one under the KTM/Husky brand. He’s kind of goofy but I just don’t ses why so many people hate him. He helped me figure out throttle calibration on the Vortex when Slavens and Vortex were not helpful. 

• Like 6