possible engine swap?

Hi Guys, First a little background info, I have 1985 cr250r that i recently purchased (for not alot of money as needed work) so compression was good so being a gambler and liking a challenge I bought it! long story short is engine was leaking coolant at water pump and engine side cover! and after some research and talking to alot of guys it seems to be the opinion of most i talked with that the 85 engine had a design problem with the side cover and was prone to leaks and the power valve was a new) design and they had alot of problems and hadn't worked out the design yet! So here's my question does anyone know if there are any other years that the engine would bolt into that frame? like a 90's or 2000's motor or maybe even a stroker (crf)? and if not has anyone done this type of upgrade? and if so how did it go? problems? advice? thx in advance for any info!

With a 35 year old bike, it is not worth the timn or money it will take to try to do a swap. Part out the bike you have and get a runner instead. It will be a lot cheaper and less aggravating in the long run.

Yes, that swap is entirely possible assuming you have the workshop, tools, welders, grinders and the urge to burn unlimited money while the rest of us are out riding something that runs.  Sell it, part it out or give it away and save yourself and your sanity.  We've all been there. Always remember the Bigger Fool Principle:  No matter what bad deal you make there's always a bigger fool who will take it off your hands.

Edited by Jimmy Pascol

Before you cut bait, wait for Sofiedog to show up here, he's done the water pump repair and I think he's messed with the power valve as well.

In the mean time read this post:

I hate to see a bike with only a few issues parted out, better to preserve it if you can.

Sofiedog is on here all the time, get his input.

• Like 1

I have an 85 cr250 . These bikes in good shape have some value. The problem is finding a clutch cover from a 1989. From 85-88 they were magnesium and rotted away. In 89 they went to aluminum. In 90 they changed the design. Finding a 89 side cover is hard and expensive. They are making cnc machined covers that are about $400. For motor swapping an 86-89 would bolt into the frame. You would need the exhaust and electronics from the newer bike. 

You're best and least expensive option is to repair the cover and water pump. You basically have to rebuild the area with strong epoxy and hope for the best. Good luck.