Drowned Ktm exc 200 advice

At the weekend I dropped my bike in a river crossing, it was submerged completely under for around 30 seconds, was out in the sticks so had to get it started and ride on which I managed to do, drained water out exhaust, squeezed air filter out, and took plug out, anyway it started after a while of trying, I have drained the gear oil out as it was milky, and flushed it a few times, have drained the carb, changed the plug and filter, anything else I can do as precaution, I’m worried as the engine has only just been rebuilt, any opinions and advice would be good. 

Thanks

30 seconds!?  What'd you do, float away?  ;)

I'd make sure to get some more hours on it if you were about to put it away for the season.

Yes pretty much what happened 🙈 will defiantly be putting hours on it, normally do around 10 hours a month, I have just took the exhaust off and this is what the cylinder looks like, any input? Fresh piston 5 hours ago, cleaned up cylinder with scotch brite, can’t remember these marks being there! Think it’s just me panicking! 0F95E14A-CF75-4530-9E95-C6052F1F2403.thumb.jpeg.1696af9441426882cba8c3458e61f39a.jpeg

Did you do a compression test after the rebuild?  How does the reading compare now with the vertical scoring?

5 hours ago, Ralph said:

At the weekend I dropped my bike in a river crossing, it was submerged completely under for around 30 seconds, was out in the sticks so had to get it started and ride on which I managed to do, drained water out exhaust, squeezed air filter out, and took plug out, anyway it started after a while of trying, I have drained the gear oil out as it was milky, and flushed it a few times, have drained the carb, changed the plug and filter, anything else I can do as precaution, I’m worried as the engine has only just been rebuilt, any opinions and advice would be good. 

I think you're in good shape.  The important thing is to get it started right up ASAP, which you did.

Sometimes you have to change the oil a couple times until it isn't milky.

I would flush the bottom end with wd-40 or any lubricant with water affinity.

2-strokes have a tendency to evaporate the water and some condenses  on the underside of the piston. When the motor cools down, the condensed water drips right own the rod to the big-end bearing.

I have known several bikes that lost the big-end bearing some time after being submerged.

• Like 1

Me personally I’d split the cases to get ALL the water out.  You never know, and it’s not worth losing the big rod bearing which is likely.  

:cheers: You did the correct thing as to empty all water out of exhaust ,air filter, after home, clean air filter or replace, also change oil after a hot long ride, keep an eye on gearbox oil and replace if gets cloudy again, I had a 84 yz490 that got dropped when I got on slick rocks coming out of a creek bed, and she went totally under, I did all the same as you and cleaned air filter and box after the ride and did 2 gearbox changes and never had any problems, i enjoyed the ride,...and the garage time later,.....:thumbsup::ride:

• Helpful 1

Thanks for all the relplys! I rode the next day on fresh oil, filter and plug as was a weekend trip, the bike defiantly got hot on both days after the drowning, in reply to compression test question, I never checked the compression after but it felt noticeably better, and still does, I know I should have done but I can’t change that now, what’s opinions on the scoring? 

Thanks 

:thumbsup: From that pic its hard to tell, you could do a comp test and keep track,  or if you want you could use a bore scope and go through the plug hole to actually look at it , but most scopes are bigger than the plug hole..at least the ones ive seen for cars and trks... if your comp test shows close to normal, keep a clean air filter in her and ride on...:ride:

Quick update so this evening I whipped the head off for a better look, it’s scored but I can’t catch my finger nail on anything, feels the same all the way round, few pics, I think it looks worse than it is but I’ll see what people think.

1B378843-66DD-49D1-A90A-3B0E23FBBD5D.png

257CF22A-0875-4487-826E-16FA251BAAFA.png

8E49EE38-5BAE-4826-9417-740E6E2434B9.png

FFC67CD9-B5F4-4307-9570-138C1E543468.png

The cylinder looks useable aside from the fact that it appears you've worn through the Nikasil over the exhaust port.

I don’t think the scoring was caused by water, I think it is how the piston is running in? What’s your thoughts on this, would you run a bike with it like this? No performance defects, just abit worries about it!