Taotao DB20

Just picked up a brand new DB20 for my 7 year old and it is really sweet. 110cc e-start, adjustable throttle limiter, hydraulic disc brakes, wide pegs and surprisingly real good fit and finish. Looks like a mash up of CRF50 with ktm50 plastics. It has great power and even hauls my 215lb carcass around. The only problem is that my girth can barely compress the shock. It is wayyyy over sprung and the shock isn't hydraulic so no damping. Just a big spring. When my son rides it he says it's uncomfortable because there's no damping. Looking for some insight on what can be done, options and if there's any others out there who have swapped in a different shock on this model.

Screenshot_2018-09-10-23-14-43.png

Screenshot_2018-09-10-23-14-08.png

pretty cool looking little machine.

Get the eye to eye measurement on the shock.  Go to ebay and search pit bike shock and there will be lots and lots to choose from.  If you can find something from one of the better companies like FastAce you can be fairly confident that it will be pretty good quality.

Thanks Chadzu. I had actually been looking at some of those Fastace shocks last night. They are listed as "up to 200lbs" or "up to 250lbs". Wondering if that's still too much spring. I guess i won't know until i try it. At least there's oil and nitrogen in those so there should be some actual dampening going on.

Fox shox float got one on sons klx110L rides nice and can be put on other bikes. Search for the best price

On 10/17/2018 at 4:53 PM, olddude13 said:

Fox shox float got one on sons klx110L rides nice and can be put on other bikes. Search for the best price

Looked into some Fox shocks and the ones i saw were almost half the price of the bike. I know it'd be great but bought a 10" (260mm) Fastace for $90 instead. More inline with my budget as well. Now the rear end will out perform the cheap non-adjustable forks. Can't wait to install it.

The spring you say is too much, or not working at all.  Factory stock shocks are never good with spring rates or oil viscosity.  Your shock probably has oil in it, it's just not enough, or most likely the seal blew out prior to purchase.  My srs 125 mini i only had to sit on it to blow the seal, after riding it for about an hour total.  Get the fast ace shock, I tried two other brands, the first had a reservoir, and the shock body actually broke at the threads.

The next shock from progressive, had a progressive spring, a bad choice, with their stiffest spring still had too much of the spring soft, when i sat on it the sag takes away almost half the travel, it's too plush, and i needed a single rate spring, too be able to adjust the rear Did I say I've done modifications to swing arm, mount. Mine has 9 inches of front and rear travel. It came with 5.25 inches up front, and net rear travel was 2.5 inches.  Kinda hurts the back, constantly bottoming out. 

SOLUTION:  GET a new shock, with reservoir, and dampening adjustments, without leading link. Eye to eye measurements are most important. Mine is 315mm eye to eye. Mine Came with a cheap, usless shock, it too blew the seals. I m convinced tne Chinese shocks are all worthless, and their seal compounds do not work.   Get one full year warranty or find a company that includes it with sale.

Have a great ride,,,,,  Gary

Bought the Fastace 10" (260mm) eye to eye and 250lb spring. Installed it today and hooo doggie did it make all the difference! It actually has damping, adjustable spring preload and 18 different adjustments for rebound. It raised the stern about an inch and got rid of the chopper stance it originally had. That made the steering better and after doing some fine tuning my son has a lot more confidence on it and carries more speed over choppy terrain. Plus, he's way more comfortable. Looks and feels pretty good quality as well. Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

15400776125911495782696.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 2:41 AM, slip57 said:

The spring you say is too much, or not working at all.  Factory stock shocks are never good with spring rates or oil viscosity.  Your shock probably has oil in it, it's just not enough, or most likely the seal blew out prior to purchase.  My srs 125 mini i only had to sit on it to blow the seal, after riding it for about an hour total.  Get the fast ace shock, I tried two other brands, the first had a reservoir, and the shock body actually broke at the threads.

The next shock from progressive, had a progressive spring, a bad choice, with their stiffest spring still had too much of the spring soft, when i sat on it the sag takes away almost half the travel, it's too plush, and i needed a single rate spring, too be able to adjust the rear Did I say I've done modifications to swing arm, mount. Mine has 9 inches of front and rear travel. It came with 5.25 inches up front, and net rear travel was 2.5 inches.  Kinda hurts the back, constantly bottoming out. 

SOLUTION:  GET a new shock, with reservoir, and dampening adjustments, without leading link. Eye to eye measurements are most important. Mine is 315mm eye to eye. Mine Came with a cheap, usless shock, it too blew the seals. I m convinced tne Chinese shocks are all worthless, and their seal compounds do not work.   Get one full year warranty or find a company that includes it with sale.

Have a great ride,,,,,  Gary

Had to go with the non-reservoir model due to the lack of space between the frame,seat and battery box. I would have preferred the reservoir model but this one works excellent so far. Thanks for the input!

Purchased an Apollo DB34.  Same problem with the rear shock; super stiff!  My daughter has been riding it for almost a year.  We will sell it and move to a bigger bike.  Overall a pretty darn good dirt bike for beginners!

76caf493-a07f-4dc9-8d70-4a284da524a4.png