Hinson clutch basket

I’ve been having a bad whine coming from my clutch on my 2008 crf450 and I think I might have finally found my problem. Is the primary gear on the back of the clutch basket supposed to have play at all? My basket has play in it and I replaced the collar and needle bearing with no fix. I finally got the basket off and I noticed that the primary gear moves up and down a little bit. Is that normal?

5 hours ago, Charecter1 said:

I’ve been having a bad whine coming from my clutch on my 2008 crf450 and I think I might have finally found my problem. Is the primary gear on the back of the clutch basket supposed to have play at all? My basket has play in it and I replaced the collar and needle bearing with no fix. I finally got the basket off and I noticed that the primary gear moves up and down a little bit. Is that normal?

Are you talking about the big gear or the small one? Should be no play in either. Hinson's bolts should be Loctited (red) so check to see if it's tight. If not, Loctite the bolts and tighten them down. Run a little more oil, an ounce or two, in the transmission to stop idler gear while once you've addressed your problem.

If you're referring to the small gear the bore is probably toast. Pic?

11 hours ago, HRC27 said:

Are you talking about the big gear or the small one? Should be no play in either. Hinson's bolts should be Loctited (red) so check to see if it's tight. If not, Loctite the bolts and tighten them down. Run a little more oil, an ounce or two, in the transmission to stop idler gear while once you've addressed your problem.

If you're referring to the small gear the bore is probably toast. Pic?

The small gear doesn’t have any play. It’s the big gear. I tried to tighten down the bolts to see if that would help and it still has play. It doesn’t move from side to side but I’m able to lift off the big gear from the basket about a 1/4 of an inch with ease

6 hours ago, Charecter1 said:

The small gear doesn’t have any play. It’s the big gear. I tried to tighten down the bolts to see if that would help and it still has play. It doesn’t move from side to side but I’m able to lift off the big gear from the basket about a 1/4 of an inch with ease

If it's a small amount it may just be the clutch cushions but I don't recall any movement when I put mine on. Pull the screws and look at the cushions just to make sure they're ok.

7 hours ago, Charecter1 said:

Ok, let me try this again, I missed the part of lifting off the big gear 1/4". Remove the bolts, clean them up and the screw bores. Make sure your cushions are ok while you have the gear off. Put it back together without Loctite and verify you can tighten it down all the way. If you can, Loctite and tighten. If you can't, somethings wrong. The bolts are wrong, you have trash still in the screw bores, the gear is on there wrong, something. Can you post a pic?

1 hour ago, HRC27 said:

Ok, let me try this again, I missed the part of lifting off the big gear 1/4". Remove the bolts, clean them up and the screw bores. Make sure your cushions are ok while you have the gear off. Put it back together without Loctite and verify you can tighten it down all the way. If you can, Loctite and tighten. If you can't, somethings wrong. The bolts are wrong, you have trash still in the screw bores, the gear is on there wrong, something. Can you post a pic?

Here’s a picture, it looks like whoever installed this used the old pressure plate from the oem clutch instead of the one that comes with the Hinson basket. It’s hard to tell from the first pic but I have a gap between the primary gear and the basket and I can wiggle it easily 

344F7FC8-CA1B-448C-B7F4-50A9578C1DA4.jpeg

A73FA512-E1C2-46A8-8E53-37EDEFC0653C.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Charecter1 said:

Here’s a picture, it looks like whoever installed this used the old pressure plate from the oem clutch instead of the one that comes with the Hinson basket. It’s hard to tell from the first pic but I have a gap between the primary gear and the basket and I can wiggle it easily 

344F7FC8-CA1B-448C-B7F4-50A9578C1DA4.jpeg

A73FA512-E1C2-46A8-8E53-37EDEFC0653C.jpeg

Looks like they used the stock plate instead of the Hinson as you said. Why is it black? Why did they use that instead of the Hinson back plate? No idea. In the video the Hinson back plate looks thicker. The bolts are probably bottoming out before that thing gets properly tight or he backed them out so they didn't interfere with the clutch plates. Also, the Hinson bolts & back plate are countersunk, the stock back is not. Get the Hinson back plate.

6194785_orig.png

Edited by HRC27

11 minutes ago, HRC27 said:

Looks like they used the stock plate instead of the Hinson as you said. Why is it black? Why did they use that instead of the Hinson back plate? No idea. In the video the Hinson back plate looks thicker. The bolts are probably bottoming out before that thing gets properly tight or he backed them out so they didn't interfere with the clutch plates. Also, the Hinson bolts are countersunk, the stock back is not. Get the Hinson back plate.

6194785_orig.png

Yeah it looks like who ever installed this took the cheaper route. I have a body that has an extra oem basket and gears that he is willing to give me. Is it worth going back to stock?

8 minutes ago, Charecter1 said:

Yeah it looks like who ever installed this took the cheaper route. I have a body that has an extra oem basket and gears that he is willing to give me. Is it worth going back to stock?

Well, the stock plate isn't countersunk so, if me, I would get the Hinson back plate. Still run an ounce or two of extra oil so the idler gear doesn't whine. ?

One more thing, the Hinson basket I bought came with the backplate and screws. You just had to clean up and move the grommets, put your gear on with their back plate and Loctite (red) the screws.

Edited by HRC27

On 10/17/2018 at 4:08 PM, Charecter1 said:

You want new cushions and backing plate for the Hinson. That basket is so much better than the stock one it's hard to describe in one paragraph.

But, that's probably not the whine you're hearing. What you're hearing is the kick starter idler gear oscillating on the shaft. Try running 50cc more transmission oil.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 5:12 PM, Shawn_Mc said:

You want new cushions and backing plate for the Hinson. That basket is so much better than the stock one it's hard to describe in one paragraph.

But, that's probably not the whine you're hearing. What you're hearing is the kick starter idler gear oscillating on the shaft. Try running 50cc more transmission oil.

I’ve been running 50cc more since I’ve owned the bike and I still have the noise