Best battery for an EXC300

My battery is a gonna.

What do people have experience with and recommend.

Is lithium the way to go ? I see anti-gravity have some batterys with discharge protection built in. I guess any lithium going on a bike not designed for it needs a BMS (battery management system) built in ?

Something like the premium Antigravity battery is becoming the go to, after the OEM battery has gone bad. Those type batteries are said to have better longevity and definitely way lighter. Usually need a charger with the special circuit for charging them too, as your normal lead/acid chargers won't work.

If you decide to not spend that kind of money tho and you stick with a lead/acid type, go with the more powerful YTX5. Stock is YTX4. The 4 is barely adequate.

Edited by Trailryder42

9 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Something like the premium Antigravity battery is becoming the go to, after the OEM battery has gone bad. Those type batteries are said to have better longevity and definitely way lighter. Usually need a charger with the special circuit for charging them too, as your normal lead/acid chargers won't work.

If you decide to not spend that kind of money tho and you stick with a lead/acid type, go with the more powerful YTX5. Stock is YTX4. The 4 is barely adequate.

does the ytx5 fit the battery box without modification ?

9 hours ago, FFMan said:

does the ytx5 fit the battery box without modification ?

Fits my 300xcw with no modifications to the box. It's a tight fit tho, height-wise, as it is a little taller battery. I rerouted the positive cable to come at the battery from the rear to keep the seat pan from contacting it.

If I had to do it again tho, would probably spring for the Antigravity or similar.

Edited by Trailryder42

On 10/16/2018 at 2:16 PM, FFMan said:

My battery is a gonna.

What do people have experience with and recommend.

Is lithium the way to go ? I see anti-gravity have some batterys with discharge protection built in. I guess any lithium going on a bike not designed for it needs a BMS (battery management system) built in ?

Hi FFMan, just wanted to chime in with a little additional info for you that hopefully helps...people have been using our small case 401's and 801's without a BMS for years in their KTM's so its not necessarily required to have a BMS but one of the biggest problems we ran into in the past was that the batteries would be allowed to over discharge, not as much of a problem for off-road bikes as they generally don't have huge draws or parasitic drains to worry about. but that being said we came out with the RE-START series to avoid that problem all together. So even something as simple as leaving a light on won't lead to your battery draining to the point of being damaged. Plus you'll have enough reserve when the battery goes to sleep to still start the bike with no problem so you'll get peace of mind knowing you won't be left stranded. 

good to hear you have a happy user base.

I run a lot of LIPO in model car and gliders and monitor each cell and balance charge every time. I see first hand the way small differences in cell voltages creep in and that is why i always balance charge. Seems to me that if the battery is being charged by the bike it should be kept in balance for long life and that means a decent BMS built into the bike or the battery.

I like the restart idea, but on a 2-stroke enduro bike that kicks easy it's not so important. I mainly want the electric start for those times i drop it on the side of a slippery hill and your boot is muddy etc.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FFMan said:

I run a lot of LIPO in model car and gliders and monitor each cell and balance charge every time. I see first hand the way small differences in cell voltages creep in and that is why i always balance charge. Seems to me that if the battery is being charged by the bike it should be kept in balance for long life and that means a decent BMS built into the bike or the battery.

I like the restart idea, but on a 2-stroke enduro bike that kicks easy it's not so important. I mainly want the electric start for those times i drop it on the side of a slippery hill and your boot is muddy etc.

Your absolutely correct a good BMS is the answer to alot of issues... Our AG-401 and AG-801 don't have a full BMS.. but they do have Cell Balancing  inside battery itself so you will always have balanced cells.  Also the AG-801 is Smaller than the typical Aftermarket Lithium Battery by a little bit, even smaller than our ATZ7 RE-START,  but it has more power than any model on the market in its class by about 40%. The reason is it is completely packed with Lithium Cells and has a full 5 "real" Amp Hours of Lithium where as you get about 2Ah to 2.2Ah with any of the competitors, even the KTM Lithium is only 2.2Ah.  So the 801 is over double the capacity, and cranking power.  I bring this up because you said you want to be able to start on a hillside or other difficult areas.  The AG-801 will easily start you bike while in gear with the clutch pulled in. OUr ATZ7 can do that but if it was really cold or the bike was having a bit of trouble starting the 801 would rip start it still.  

On another note... 

32 minutes ago, FFMan said:

right on the money...as well, all our batteries including the small case and the re-start models have cell balancing built in. If you finds it's something you'd like to further explore please feel free to reach out to us directly or you can email chad@antigravitybatteries.com

7 minutes ago, FFMan said:

ok - i'm convinced - can i buy one at a good deal the dirt bike show 1st weekend Nov ?

As you're in the UK I'm guessing that would be "Dirt Bike Show" in Warwickshire as well..? We could easily have some re-seller's there but if not email Chad and he can let you know the best route to go to get you one.