I am looking for a new bike. My last bike was a yz85, currently on a 16 raptor. I'm about 5'7" and 130-140 pounds. I ride alot of sand dunes and will do some track riding. I'm looking at yz125s, yz144s or KTM 150sx's. I'm from Canada so my prices are a bit higher than America. I have found a 2017 KTM 150 SX with 40 hours for $6000 and i have a close friend with a 2017 yz144 bored and polished with about 20 hours for about $6500. I know KTM has the hydraulic clutch, Brembo brakes, air forks and it's weighs less so it definitely seems like the winner here. I'm not too concerned about the extra cost of parts for the European bike.

id go for the 144 myself but id try to get him down. You can fit parts from 05+ on that bike, and even some stuff further back. Those air forks are no where near as good of a fork as the kyb on the yamaha. Brembo brakes to me are nothing to brag about. Ive raced ktm, honda and yamaha in the last 3 years and had more brake problems on my ktm than any of the others. Once i fit the other 2 with a braided brake line they were every bit as good as the brembo...and the hondas were better. I have been hurt so i havent been racing but i have been following our local group of racers to all the national enduros helping pit for them. 3 ktm/husky, 3 yamahas and 2 hondas. I fight brake overheating on every euro bike between every section. I dont touch the jap bikes brakes. Once both bikes are full of fuel the weight difference is going to be less the 5lbs. Youre not going to notice it. Just food for thought. 

Agreed about the brakes. I find the brembos really arent that great. Seem to have more problems if anything and don't work any better. I would actually go with a japanese brand brake over brembo if I had the choice. Or magura. 

14 hours ago, Decreasing Dave said:

Weird.  I think my KTM Brembos rock, and that's coming off a YZ450F

Dave

Did you have a braided brake line on the yz? 

43 minutes ago, Ssquid said:

All Brembo's on KTM come with a braided line.

1 minute ago, poldies4 said:

All Brembo's on KTM come with a braided line.

....i'm aware.. that's why i asked if the yz had one.  Its the only reason a ktm feels like its better.

2 minutes ago, Ssquid said:

....i'm aware.. that's why i asked if the yz had one.  Its the only reason a ktm feels like its better.

Misread your post.  I glazed over the yz part.  Derp...

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, Ssquid said:

Sorry so late, yes, I had braided lines on my YZ.  It just didn't have the stopping power that my KTM has.

Dave