1990 KTM 300 help with what these numbered wires are for.

This is a 1990 KTM 300. I purchased recently and have been slowly going through it. Since I purchased from an individual I have known for years I haven’t even fired it up. I wanted to go through it and re-grease/service many of the moving parts before riding.

i have no reason to believe it will not run as the wiring is. All these wires were wrapped up in electrical  tape so not just hanging loose.

It had a standard front number plate so no headlight. The UFO brand rear fender light appeared to have had the connections ends ripped off. Presumably got caught by the rear tire at some point. I have repaired this already.

I want to add an Acerbis Elba 2 lighted from number plate and have purchased one. No speedo, no switches, or a mounting bracket for any of those. In an effort to simplify direction I labeled the leads.

It would be fantastic if one or more of you could direct me to what these numbered wires could be for. I have looked online for a wiring schematic and or other info. Found a website with period correct uploaded owner/chassis/motor guides. Nothing covering the wiring. Certainly would appreciate direction to another online resource. Thanking  any and all in advance for some guidance.

15AB9831-F419-49D1-8122-722B08AF6501.jpeg

43F3BFAB-71D6-4581-B4AF-01012000B593.jpeg

DAAD773A-617E-402D-BEEE-12CDA5E9ABBA.jpeg

F769E425-B098-40B4-A75F-A300F71F43F5.jpeg

7A971DA5-4B6F-405A-953D-63CA957A811F.jpeg

Is any of the wiring hooked up?

I got rid of my 92 a couple years ago and i cant remember exactly but the bikes were wired for lights for sure, but unless somethings are not hooked up on your bike you have more loose wires than i did or at least more than i remember.

That bike will have the SEM ignition, just a heads up they are known to go bad, you will not find a working replacement for less than a few hundred bucks and that will fail in time as well.  When they go bad, most people do an ignition conversion.  Basically take the entire ignition system off like an 02-07 200-300cc ktm bike and slap it in there.   The stator and flywheel are pretty much direct bolt on conversions, then you just need to figure out where/how to mount the coil and route the wiring.

I have a PDF of the 92 bike which is basically the same as the 90,  it has this diagram in it, not sure if it would be any help i don't think it lists specific wires? do you have one like this?  If not i can send it to you

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 2.08.01 PM.png

Edited by subxero

Thanks Sub. I haven’t fired it since I had no reason to believe I needed to. I was told the bike was good to go and rideable. This piticular friend would have no reason to tell me something that was untrue.

Thusly I began going through it. My issue has nothing to do with trying to get it started. I am trying to resolve what these unconnected wires powered at one time. Those parts were removed at some point and these leads all taped up. He had switched out the front light for a standard number plate. At some point switches and indicator lights were removed.

I greatly appreciate your efforts. Sincerely. That was a great one on what to do if I need to replace the ignition. I have read about the issues early on with that supplier. Hopefully although common as an issue I have one that is the exception.

I have my Elba light and can monkey my way through figuring out how to power that headlight up. I was hopeful someone here had one of these early bikes and could rattle off what I was looking at.

At some point i was able to figure out some of the wiring, i can't remember but you would probably have better luck over at KTMtalk.   There is a subforum called "Oldies but Goodies" for the mid 90's bikes and earlier.  There is a wealth of knowledge there and people who have running bikes and could probably help you out.   If you are not a member there owning this bike alone will make it worth it just to get access to that section.

Bike looks nice, way nicer than the basket case i picked up and put back together.    One thing, i figure if you get it running you could check voltages and that could give you a clue to what the wires should be doing.   I swear i had a full wiring diagram at one point... let me dig around a bit.   

Newer model but the color codes should be similar to give you an idea

KTM_2003Wiring1.jpg

Edited by subxero

It’s exactly this type of assistance that makes the internet so kick 2 large hams. Thank you yet again. That’s what I needed I believe. 

As I’m going through the rear end I’m just about detailing every nut, washer and bolt as I go. I even resurfaced my swingarm, silencer/spark arrester, subframe, brake pedal, and rear caliper guard. So this is no just relube and go. New graphics coming from EvoMX along with a new stock seat cover. So it should look pretty much factory fresh. 

So thanks again Sub you have been an incredible help.

• Like 1

Before and after of my 92.   The before picture is after i had already cleaned it up a bit and put it half back together from how it was when i picked it up. 

Really liked the way the bike ran, wouldn't mind snagging another in the future for post vintage races.  :thumbsup:

Enjoy 

IMG_5141.JPG

20160731_184832.jpg

Impressive end result. That’s worse then even my Honda 95 CR 250 I bought to restore. At least that bike had everything there but was in horrible operating condition.

Reading on here about watching out for corrosion with the water pump has distracted me and I am now cleaning that area. Hopefully I can get this cleaned up. I see how there is a water passage across the front of the motor. This explains some drops of radiator water to the front of the motor. I drained the old and was pleased that the water trickled out until I opened the radiator cap.

Thanks for your attention to this thread.