Hi fellow thumpers,

firstly if there is other threads on this topic I apologize.

i have a 2009 KTM 450 exc. I live at 5500 feet. I have a keihin carb. I currently have it set up with 

green needle (jd kit) @ 4th from the top

main #175 

pilot #42

in setting it up for some desert riding I plan on doing next month (LAB2V). Right  now I’m getting a bog if I rack the throttle a few times. I’m reading this is semi normal as the accelerator pump has a hard time refilling.

i have put a new diaphragm, spring, lean jet is at #40 and air fuel acre 1 and 1/8 out.

im planning on going back to 172 main, red needle 5th from the top and #45 pilot.

i normally ride the trails around lake arrowhead and Big bear in California. The trails are single track from 5000-10000 feet.

Anyone see any issues with either set up?

how about the big if I get on it a few time ( not really noticeable when riding)

sorry for the questions. This is my first carb I’ve ever worked on. 

Thanks in advance 

I just went through this on my '06 YZ450. Sent the carb to ZipTy Racing in Hesperia for a full rebuild, did wonders, bike is back to normal, crisp throttle, no bog, and general power output from 1/4-1/3 throttle is much better. If your bike was running fine, then all of sudden this problem came up, you probably need a rebuild, because bikes don't just UN-jet themselves. Many carbs from this era of bikes need full rebuilds because the many o-rings and other seals degrade and become leaky.

10 hours ago, Chuck M said:

I just went through this on my '06 YZ450. Sent the carb to ZipTy Racing in Hesperia for a full rebuild, did wonders, bike is back to normal, crisp throttle, no bog, and general power output from 1/4-1/3 throttle is much better. If your bike was running fine, then all of sudden this problem came up, you probably need a rebuild, because bikes don't just UN-jet themselves. Many carbs from this era of bikes need full rebuilds because the many o-rings and other seals degrade and become leaky.

Yeah I normally use Ty. I was just trying to figure it out myself! It recently had a full rebuild. But I think your right I’ll give him a call and see get it fixed right. Thanks Chuck

at that altitude you should get a bike with EFI then all the crap your going through now will become history you don't want to repeat