Jump to content
campdirt

walker valley tires

Recommended Posts

whats the better tire choices for walker valley when its wet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like trials/like tires on my thumpers and knobbies on my smokers....but that goes for anywhere. Walker doesn't have anything ya need to get out of 3rd gear for, and lots of it is 1st and 2nd gear stuff if you're into the gnar stuff, so lower pressures are your friend

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 4 sets of rims for 2 bikes.

Sedona 907 with Nitro Mousse for flat aggressive flatland riding, mild gravel/pavement use. Great for Tahuya or D100. 

The following used with TUbliss

Pirelli MT43 ("Magic Tire") Trials Type Tire. Good at almost everything, the most versatile of all tires. Amazing on cascade single track with rocks and roots, very good in watery conditions (not muddy) excellent long life, does great on pavement and gravel, very consistent quality during the life of the tire. The tire surprisingly is actually quite good on red clay at Cap Forest. Not good on very loose and baked out trails (shale jeep trails with silt especially), not good on true mud. This would be a great tire for Walker.

IRC MB5  ("Monster Badass) Super knobby that will make hill climbing and messy conditions a breeze. Only knock is longevity, as a few rides will shark tooth it down. Use a hot knife to freshen up, can do that twice. I only use this badboy when conditions warrant, and it's very effective at making your  friends look like pikers, or make you look better than you really are. 

Goldentyre 333 Being mounted up now, hoping for a great multi purpose all terrain tire with longevity. Results unknown. 

 

I have recently discovered the Goldentyre Fatty front tire. It is so good I don't feel the need to ever try another front tire... I run all my fronts with Nitro Mousse. I have great forks, and there's just no need for low pressure in my front tires. Lots of folks are moving to this combo because it flat out is working.  

Edited by TigerTanker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goldentyre fatty front or the new shinko knock off.   Shinko 505 on the rear.  Setup with TUbliss front and rear,  psi 6-8 front,  3-5 rear.   Be sure to change the tiny inner bladder of the tubliss at tire changes as it wears where it goes around the rim lock.

Edited by PBryant
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just getting back on my TX300 after a severe head injury in June and went with Shinko fatty up front and M5B EVO 140/80 rear. Tubeless front and rear. Liking 8psi front and 5psi rear right now. Talk about holy traction! Always use a M5B in the winter but this is the first time I've tried the EVO. The Shinko fatty up front has me thinking that's all I need year around. Bring on the Gnar mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

I have recently discovered the Goldentyre Fatty front tire. It is so good I don't feel the need to ever try another front tire...

I finally have one en-route! It'll be a good back-to-back comparison with the Shinko "fatty" that I'm running now.

Walker is perfect conditions for a fatty front, IMO. The rocks and roots are everywhere, and a fatty absorbs more and deflects less than a regular front. I'll be up there on Saturday to try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GT Fatty and Shinko Fatty have an identical mold, because that is where the GT tires were made. But, GT ditched the production facilities and have advanced their proprietary rubber compounds to a degree that is unrivaled, and far superior to the compound that Shinko uses. 

Bottom line, the Shinko might be a better tire in the first 200 miles because it's soft and more pliable, but after 400 miles you'll be buying a new one because they strip apart very fast. Meanwhile, I got 2000 miles on my first GT Fatty that saw combat at; Snake Pit, other various California, Baja, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado. From pavement to brutal singletrack, and from 60 degrees to 110 degrees that GT delivered IMPRESSIVELY. Nuetech told me that they've had race teams do this combo and get 3000 miles. 

My GT at 2000 miles would have been just fine to continue but I snobbed out and put a fresh one on. Funny though, the KTM in Olympia that does my tire stuff told me that the Nitro would make it for another tire! Getting 4000 miles from a Nitro is pretty sweet.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

The GT Fatty and Shinko Fatty have an identical mold, because that is where the GT tires were made. But, GT ditched the production facilities and have advanced their proprietary rubber compounds to a degree that is unrivaled, and far superior to the compound that Shinko uses. 

Bottom line, the Shinko might be a better tire in the first 200 miles because it's soft and more pliable, but after 400 miles you'll be buying a new one because they strip apart very fast. Meanwhile, I got 2000 miles on my first GT Fatty that saw combat at; Snake Pit, other various California, Baja, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado. From pavement to brutal singletrack, and from 60 degrees to 110 degrees that GT delivered IMPRESSIVELY. Nuetech told me that they've had race teams do this combo and get 3000 miles. 

My GT at 2000 miles would have been just fine to continue but I snobbed out and put a fresh one on. Funny though, the KTM in Olympia that does my tire stuff told me that the Nitro would make it for another tire! Getting 4000 miles from a Nitro is pretty sweet.  

Nice! I will definitely try the GT front next then thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KEITH OLSON said:

Since april, except the 3rd one down, Slackinhard was suppose to pick up. MT43.20180920_180610.jpeg

Keith, we're gonna change your name to Carcass. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

The GT Fatty and Shinko Fatty have an identical mold, because that is where the GT tires were made. But, GT ditched the production facilities and have advanced their proprietary rubber compounds to a degree that is unrivaled, and far superior to the compound that Shinko uses. 

I guess the GT now is a 2-ply, and the Shinko remains a 4-ply tire. GT is supposedly 2 pounds lighter. I'll weigh both tires tomorrow to see for my self. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KEITH OLSON said:

Since april, except the 3rd one down, Slackinhard was suppose to pick up. MT43.20180920_180610.jpeg

lol, I was just thinking about that tire. We need to go for a ride :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the ultimate in traction, use the Kenda Ibex front and rear. They are not long lasting tires however. The Kenda Washougal II's are great all around tires.

The 'fatty' front tires are a fad that will disappear in a few years. They climb out of ruts and slow down the handling of the bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wiz636 said:

The 'fatty' front tires are a fad that will disappear in a few years. They climb out of ruts and slow down the handling of the bike.

RE: Ruts - I've heard this, and experienced it myself twice. Both times I ended up on my back. The improvement in rocks and roots, for me, is worth the trade-off. But yeah, if your riding involves ruts, MX tracks, even some hare-scrambles, it may not be the ideal choice for you. Walker doesn't have too many ruts like that.

RE: Handling - Two things. I think this is very bike-dependent. I've heard folks complaining that newer KTMs are getting a bit flighty even with how the front handles, and can benefit from slightly slower steering (some even say fatty's negate the need for a damper - I dunno, I don't run a damper). Second: bike setup. Tires are an integral part of chassis dynamics. Going w/ a taller front effectively increases rake and trail. I tried it, felt it was a bit slow, so I raised my forks in the clamps to compensate when I switched to the fatty. 

Edited by jrodicus100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

RE: Ruts - I've heard this, and experienced it myself twice. Both times I ended up on my back. The improvement in rocks and roots, for me, is worth the trade-off. But yeah, if your riding involves ruts, MX tracks, even some hare-scrambles, it may not be the ideal choice for you. Walker doesn't have too many ruts like that.

RE: Handling - Two things. I think this is very bike-dependent. I've heard folks complaining that newer KTMs are getting a bit flighty even with how the front handles, and can benefit from slightly slower steering (some even say fatty's negate the need for a damper - I dunno, I don't run a damper). Second: bike setup. Tires are an integral part of chassis dynamics. Going w/ a taller front effectively increases rake and trail. I tried it, felt it was a bit slow, so I raised my forks in the clamps to compensate when I switched to the fatty. 

Same here. When I was still racing some MX back in 07-08 I tried a big tire on the front of my KX450 and hated it. Was reluctant to try one again but have and love them off road! If I raced my TX on a MX track around here I would go back to a S12 in the front 90/90. Also went to a 140/80 rear for 8.5mm more height to match the front so my steering would stay as sharp as possible but still get the other benefits of the fatty front. Lots more traction +tubless oh my ;) 

Edited by ricky racer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd heard the knock about ruts and the GT Fatty. I've recently been in some rutted situations and didn't really find it a problem. 

I took my bikes to Mattawa recently and in the sand, holy cow was that GT Fatty nice to have. Real confidence builder, no knifing in the sand. Something that ruined both shoulders of mine 2 yrs ago in Florence. 

I also notice that unlike my previous front tires, when I am in a sharp fast downhill turn that I'm not getting any washout crashes. Hate it when that happens...

On pavement, tire behaves very nicely too. Have yet to find a single place, terrain, or ride where it didn't perform anything less than stellar...and mind you... I'm running the thing on brand new mousses simulated at 14-16 psi! Though I do have unusually good suspension in my bikes. 

A big part of the intrigue for me on this tire was the glowing reviews people would write about it. In fact, never saw a single complaint about it other than its propensity to come up from a rut. So, decided to try it and sure enough I'm beyond satisfied with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KEITH OLSON said:

Bald with cords showing for the ultimate.

thats what i have been running, thinking about buying new instead of handme downs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

...

IRC MB5  ("Monster Badass) Super knobby that will make hill climbing and messy conditions a breeze. Only knock is longevity, as a few rides will shark tooth it down. Use a hot knife to freshen up, can do that twice. I only use this badboy when conditions warrant, and it's very effective at making your  friends look like pikers, or make you look better than you really are. 

...

Is there sumptin' you want to say to @HHey's and my face? 

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×