86 xr250r engine questions

Hey guys I blew up my 86 xr250r this summer (seized at low speed) and I wanted to take this chance to rebuild it since I never have and figured it be fun to learn

My question is between what years did they use the engine on the 86 and if anyone knows of a rebuild kit or at least the bottom end bearing sizes that might also help but I haven't much info so fat change probably

I'd say, the first thing to do is check the parts fiches to see what OEM parts are still available. That will tell you what you're going to have find from other sources, like parts bikes, eBay and such. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

New bearings can usually be matched at your local bearing retailer.

There are piston kits all over the web. Get the engine apart, see exactly what kind of shape it's in, what you need. That info will help others make suggestions later.

• Like 1

You should find out what caused the low speed seizure. Often a failed oil delivery system and the cam bearings will seize at low speeds.

86-95 engines share most parts, 96-04 was a redesign, 84-85 was the short stroke predecessor.