The GP100 Challenge

I think it would be fun to come up with a 100 mile loop challenge for Gifford Pinchot. Perhaps it could be validated by posting time/location referenced photos as you complete your desired route. There could be different variations of difficulty depending upon the route or we could establish a set course and just work towards improving your time? Since a lot of trails are linked via forest roads we could limit tha amout of roads to x% of the route or just agree the forest roads dont count towards your total?

What do you guys think? Who has ideas and who would like to give it a shot or share a 100+ mile route that they've already completed.

20180923_072927_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

Oh come on, where's your sense of adventure? Lol

Surely my friends and I aren't the only ones that appreciate a stretch of trails so grievous it causes you to unload your bike, put it in the corner of the garage, and not look at it for a week?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

those type of things generally come up around a campfire...I try to keep them there. The winds of the interweb blow in mysterious ways :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eldon said:

Oh come on, where's your sense of adventure? Lol

Surely my friends and I aren't the only ones that appreciate a stretch of trails so grievous it causes you to unload your bike, put it in the corner of the garage, and not look at it for a week?

I like that after 50mi of Gifford  😂

• Like 1

When you got ridges and forest service roads it pays to be careful, this is probably better suited for Tahuya or Capital Forest

My brother and I would be up for it but will have to put fuel out and plan ahead as you will be finishing in the dark. I've never done more then 50-60 miles in a day there! Definitely need the following day or two off to recover hahaha. Shoot might have to ride all night to get 100 miles up there! How about 100 miles in a weekend hahaha?

• Like 1

It would certainly take the good part of a day. A couple weeks ago we started at 5am and completed 80 miles by 4pm. This included a couple longer breaks and a 1 hour stop due to a mechanical failed. We would have continued on but one I us had to be back in town by 7pm.

We'll be heading out on Friday and will see what we can cover but with plans to hit Jumbo north to south and Langille south to north we may run out of time again. 

I think it's a fantastic idea!

In fact, I think it should be a "Merit Badge" type thing.

We could actually start a system of tracks and trails of completion for us to accumulate and challenge ourselves on, and measure our riding progress and skills. 

But, don't you think 100 miles is a bit much? That is probably at least a 10-12 hr day for most, probably a bit more than can typically be tackled?

Instead, create 3 50 mile rides of the area, and create a double play, and even a triple play of a massive 150 mile ride! But 50 mile segments are probably more in line. 

• Like 3

I'm headed to Tongue MTN/Juniper Ridge Saturday with Katoom and a couple other Thumps. May have room for one or two more if anyone is interested for the Flagship Ride of GP (my opinion). 

33 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I'm headed to Tongue MTN/Juniper Ridge Saturday with Katoom and a couple other Thumps. May have room for one or two more if anyone is interested for the Flagship Ride of GP (my opinion). 

I hope to see you out there. Our route selection will be: South down Juniper, east on Boundary, south on 2, west on fs 90, north on 80, north on 3, north on Langille. Planning on departing from camp Saturday between 4-5am.

We'll head back to the truck and if theres still time we'll gas up and work on completing 100 miles.

3 minutes ago, Eldon said:

I hope to see you out there. Our route selection will be: South down Juniper, east on Boundary, south on 2, west on fs 90, north on 80, north on 3, north on Langille. Planning on departing from camp Saturday between 4-5am.

We'll head back to the truck and if theres still time we'll gas up and work on completing 100 miles.

North on Langille you sick f's.... Hey, fill in some of those damn ruts while you're at it. Going up on 80 will also be kinda fun with the steps. Yup, probably see you out there somewheres. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eldon said:

Wow that's an impressive loop considering its the (hard) direction! Can your whole group ride up the rock face of Langille? I'm definitely not in that physical condition currently LOL

Going back to your idea, which I think is really cool, should also be changed annually to spread out the traffic and adapt to trail conditions. That way we can take usage off of burned out trails, and put it in directions and areas that can facilitate the best ride. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ricky racer said:

Wow that's an impressive loop considering its the (hard) direction! Can your whole group ride up the rock face of Langille? I'm definitely not in that physical condition currently LOL

Yes, the group that will be tackling this route is certainly capable of climbing the rock face on Langille. Whether or not we'll have the steam at the end of a long day is still to be determined. 

Edited by Eldon
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Going back to your idea, which I think is really cool, should also be changed annually to spread out the traffic and adapt to trail conditions. That way we can take usage off of burned out trails, and put it in directions and areas that can facilitate the best ride. 

This is why I'm kinda thinking that we could validate the loops in a similar fashion as the Iron Butt Association. Nothing set in stone so it give the riding group some freedom.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eldon said:

This is why I'm kinda thinking that we could validate the loops in a similar fashion as the Iron Butt Association. Nothing set in stone so it give the riding group some freedom.

I'd think consulting with Rollie, aka @Leftdagrid doesn't hurt either. 

• Like 1

A 130 mile and 148ish mile loop has been done over the last two season's. My record is 97 miles, limited only by fuel capacity. I'm not fast but can ride a lot of miles and am my fastest at the end of the ride.

90road

table mt.

boundary

council lake

babyshoe pass

high lakes

spring creek

green mtn

valley trail

Hamilton butte

yohzoo

down bishop

up valley

5601 rd

east canyon ridge

up dark meadow

juniper

boundary

back down table mtn should get you just over 100.

• Like 4