Scoott

the 16th 24hrs of Starvation Ridge October 27&28th

Less than two weeks until the 24hr. Some rain last week but still pretty dry. Spots still open for race teams/Ironpeople.

Course I laid out, 1 loop left to disc & mark.  Lots of new stuff with very little existing trail usage.

Wide open in the disced fields and technical and rocky in the scabpatches.( also called scablands, yours or the soil).

Forecast dry for the next 7-10 days, looking good so far.

• Like 4

24 hr update.

Course is laid out. Big changes. NO rock garden or pumpkin patch this year. Instead, we have FRESH rock sections...not as big rocks or as close together, much easier to get through.

For the first time in years we are running the forest section and reeds next to the big pond, many dry ponds.

We have filled the swimming pool with water, probably have to top off for the weekend , and yes , there is a bypass.

Course is fast & flowing out in the wheat fields and technical everywhere else.

Hoping to get a good shot of rain Thursday to help settle the dust. Quite dry so far.

Still room for late entries available.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, Knotcher said:

Lol @ "quite dry".

Should have left it at the same time as last year?

NO!

on second thought......HELL NO!!

I will not do early  again. I am too old and there is way too much pressure on Debbie and I to prepare  for the 24hr in mid-October and get the wheat planting finished for the next season, take care of our son & other interests.

We spent a solid 2 weeks getting ready for this year's race. With our aging crew we put out almost 3 miles of ribbon, thousands of stakes, and moving rocks and obstacles.This is a all-consuming event that dominates our thoughts/time for weeks, if not months.

Conditions were good to perfect for 10-12hrs before the rain came in, even then the course got slimy on top but there were no bogs or endless ruts as in the past.

I vowed the 24hr would run on the last weekend or not at all. Time will tell.

On another note, not looking good for our 20 yr. Anniversery event on Nov. 10th& 11th. Weather is looking wet and cold. With overnight 20+ degree nights and low 40's daytime temps. that is a recipe for frozen ground, followed by slimy frozen ground, followed by  maybe decent soft, wet  ground late in the day.

We will see what it looks like by Friday and make the call on go/no go then.

• Like 3

It really wasn’t too bad with the rain. I’ve seen a lot worse there. Even at 6 am I saw dry dirt come up. And I rode all 24 hrs so I saw the whole race out there. First day was amazing dirt and grass track was awesome. I hope more people show up next year. There’s only a few 24 hr races in the country and we need to keep it going

10 hours ago, naeve44 said:

It really wasn’t too bad with the rain. I’ve seen a lot worse there. Even at 6 am I saw dry dirt come up. And I rode all 24 hrs so I saw the whole race out there. First day was amazing dirt and grass track was awesome. I hope more people show up next year. There’s only a few 24 hr races in the country and we need to keep it going

I will be there next year to IM again, if not bring a team for the first time in a few years.  Last weekend I was at the last National Hare and Hound in California, so it was a no go for the 24hr.

In 2019, the last NHHA race is moved up 2 weeks to mid October, and since the 24hr is staying at the end of the month I (and a few others) are good to go for the 24hr.

From the reports from my friends that were there, it wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either.  They did stop in the middle of the night when it was raining hardest, but they were the only ones in their class, so they had nothing on the line and just had to get to the finish.

On 10/31/2018 at 7:57 AM, Scoott said:

NO!

on second thought......HELL NO!!

I will not do early  again. I am too old and there is way too much pressure on Debbie and I to prepare  for the 24hr in mid-October and get the wheat planting finished for the next season, take care of our son & other interests.

We spent a solid 2 weeks getting ready for this year's race. With our aging crew we put out almost 3 miles of ribbon, thousands of stakes, and moving rocks and obstacles.This is a all-consuming event that dominates our thoughts/time for weeks, if not months.

Conditions were good to perfect for 10-12hrs before the rain came in, even then the course got slimy on top but there were no bogs or endless ruts as in the past.

I vowed the 24hr would run on the last weekend or not at all. Time will tell.

On another note, not looking good for our 20 yr. Anniversery event on Nov. 10th& 11th. Weather is looking wet and cold. With overnight 20+ degree nights and low 40's daytime temps. that is a recipe for frozen ground, followed by slimy frozen ground, followed by  maybe decent soft, wet  ground late in the day.

We will see what it looks like by Friday and make the call on go/no go then.

The agricultural element is something I didn't consider until I was out there. Definitely puts a time crunch on moving it up.