2019 KTM 300 XC-W TPI Six Days

It was time to demote my heavily used '05 YZ-250 to backup duty, and pick up the new tech. Pretty stoked about this new bike and once all the guards I ordered arrive, she'll be ready for the trails. Just put 20 minutes on her around the neighborhood, still in break-in mode.

Waiting to install: BPD rad guards, BPD disk guards, Cycra frame guards, swingarm guard, Cycra Pro-bends, exhaust flange guard, KTM trail-tech fan kit, Slavens idle control screw and I plan on replacing the tires once worn with tubliss and some hybrids (shinko or kenda ibex). I also ordered plastics and graphics to mimic the sharp looking TLD KTM light blue look, my pretty 6 days plastics will be tucked away somewhere safe.

I did tons of research before buying the TPI and figured it's the future whether we like it or not, and it seems the 2019's have had minor tweaks to iron out the few issues the first year TPI's had. The forks are valved to be stiffer and the mapping is better from the factory. I still give the kick starter a small pull before a cold start to get the oil primed to go (less dryness on first start-up), and I think having an idle control screw is a must have for this bike as I don't want to be adjusting the idle down the road with just more air. I don't want this thing starting like a 4 stroke on the trails when hot.

I've heard some concerns about trail reliability with the TPI bikes and many of them are valid. If the battery dies, I'm stuck. If the oil pump fails, I'm stuck. If water messes up the electronics, I'm stuck. This all sounds terrible, and an unwarranted complication of a traditional carb'd system, however, I'll continue to do what I always do, which is leave tons of parts and tools in my truck. The way I ride, and the way the trails are in Hawaii, it's not a matter of if, but when you'll break something you don't have a replacement for, miles into the muddy woods. I always kept a spare clutch pack, levers, bolts, kick starter and larger tools in my truck, so that if anything happened beyond what my trail tools can handle, I'd just borrow a buddy's bike and load up what I need to make the repair trail-side. The TPI just means an extra oil pump, maybe some electrical parts and a portable battery charger/ jumper will be ready to go in my truck as well. As for the electronics, proper maintenance, packing of dielectric grease and careful power washing will ensure they stay dry.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more pictures of the updates here soon and have links to the many new youtube video's I'll be creating of trail rides and hare scrambles.

1.thumb.jpg.1bede93ec38eb30ade10f69a6339dd68.jpg5.jpg.0dd70310293ec1f4c134ce99bc941140.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats, awesome bike!  I'm holding out on the TPI until they make an xc, then I am all over it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, poldies4 said:

Congrats, awesome bike!  I'm holding out on the TPI until they make an xc, then I am all over it.

Same here! 

• Like 1

A thing of beauty!

Keep the pics coming as you go please.

:thumbsup: All I can say is WOW , very nice looking ride for sure, great job on taking the pics, no clutter clean area, very nice, congrats....:cheers:

Is the Six Days version worth the extra money?

I’m looking to buy a new 300 with in a year or so.

just picked up a Husky TE 300i, i to am waiting for all the guards before riding it, 12,600 bucks, over 1,000 bucks in protection guards and no spark arrester or rear brake disc and caliper protection and what about the head pipe guard (only can get in orange..blah, eh???????really KTM for the USA buyer?????? Still first new bike i ever purchased as my choice..... very nice. Also have a back-up, slightly used 06 yz 250, but plan on racing old dude mx with it.

19 hours ago, Nick96 said:

No, honestly it only comes with a few guards I'd be getting anyway. I still spent about $1.5k on extra parts to fully protect the bike. If you think new dirt bikes are expensive, try Hawaii (shipping costs tacked on from dealer). The 300 XC-W was $11.5k OTD, Six days was $12.5k. For me, only way I could convince myself to spend that much on a bike was if it was "special", and the six days was just enough for me to trick myself into buying a new bike. Basically I told myself I'm paying a premium to truly have my "dream" bike for the trails here. Most of the parts on the bike are just bling factor parts that'll just cost more to replace when I inevitably break them. The six days includes: Floating rotors, 6 days branded wheels, billet triple clamp, fancy seat cover, quick disconnect front wheel axle, carbon pipe guard, plastic skid plate and different graphics. If I were to spend $ on building a non-six days 300, I sure as hell wouldn't be worrying about a seat cover, useless billet parts, expensive floating rotors or graphics. You could easily spend the extra $1,000 on real performance improvements and guards and have a "better" bike for the same $. The six days just helped me to quantify spending >$10k on a dirt bike, which is to me insane in the first place. KTM does marketing very well, and they somehow got to me with the six days. 100% personal preference if it's worth it...

Edited by TheTyLife
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tswitzreturns506 said:

just picked up a Husky TE 300i, i to am waiting for all the guards before riding it, 12,600 bucks, over 1,000 bucks in protection guards and no spark arrester or rear brake disc and caliper protection and what about the head pipe guard (only can get in orange..blah, eh???????really KTM for the USA buyer?????? Still first new bike i ever purchased as my choice..... very nice. Also have a back-up, slightly used 06 yz 250, but plan on racing old dude mx with it.

Yah, it's a shame we have to spend so much to make these bikes truly trail ready.

• Like 1

Not one bit

Decals

Tires

Seat

Sprocket

I think are the only main differences. Not worth $1500

29 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

Not one bit

Decals

Tires

Seat

Sprocket

I think are the only main differences. Not worth $1500

Triple clamp, wheels, seat cover, front axle, exhaust, pipe guard, skid plate, floating rotors and graphics. Was only about a $1k difference in price for me and I guarantee if you bought all those parts seperate, you would be looking at more than $1k. Worth it is subjective, espescially with most of the parts not effecting performance at all.

Wheels? Or tires? Thought it was just the metzler rubber and that’s it?

Sprocket too or no?

Beautiful looking bikes though. The decals are the best part of the whole package this year IMO.

I was gonna get one. They’re $12,3000 CAD up here. That’s like $9800 USD.

1 hour ago, cdf450 said:

Wheels? Or tires? Thought it was just the metzler rubber and that’s it?

Sprocket too or no?

Beautiful looking bikes though. The decals are the best part of the whole package this year IMO.

I was gonna get one. They’re $12,3000 CAD up here. That’s like $9800 USD.

Wish I got that kind of pricing! Yeah it looks like it does come with the supersprox aluminum/ steel combo sprocket. In the U.S. I believe it has the same dunlop tires that the non six days comes with, the wheels are likely the same now that I think about it.

Nice Bike! I have around 40hrs on my 250 TPI and haven't had any problems. I'll do the recommended oil pump replacement at 80hrs for insurance but other than that the bike is solid. Yeah they will not run on a completely dead battery. You can keep a capacitor in your trail kit to jump across the battery terminals to get back to the truck, theres videos on youtube about that mod. Although I haven't had any electrical issues. Only time I killed the battery like that was when I accidentally left the wake up plug installed while tuning the bike. I just jump started it with my truck before my ride and it was ok. Only way you could really kill the battery is with wiring accessories directly to the battery, stock everything runs from timed relays to prevent user error.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, 2strokenut said:

I picked up an AntiGravity ReStart battery just in case I run the thing down. Shouldn't be an issue now.

Yeah, I will likely switch to that once the stock battery is toast. Right now I will just have a portable jump kit in my truck, worst case just ride a friends bike out to grab it.