Help measuring and setting float

I do not know where exactly to check it. Here is a video. When I hold it at 90 degrees it seems like the float is in a ”neutral” position with the line parallel to the carb body (even though you cant see it). Is this the position that the float needs to be set? ( at the 3 second mark in the video)
I read about making sure its not pushing the pin down that the tang is against but when I rotate it like in the video it seems like the pin always has pressure except when I tilt the carb past 90 and the float falls out. 
To adjust the tang do I have to pull it all apart, bend it, and put it back together or can I adjust the tang with it assembled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9qvJZ-zdO8

Edited by MixinGasKickinAss

Hold the carb at 45 degrees. Gently place the float against the pin and measure the float. If you are careful, you can adjust the float in place, other wise, slip the pin out and adjust off the carb. Better to move too little than too much. you bend it too many time,s you weaken it and it will fail. Once set, floats nearly never have to be re-adjusted.

• Like 1

What has me confused is that when looking at diagrams of measuring float height, it shows the float being even with the carb body. When I hold the carb at 45 degrees (actually anything less than 90) the float is not even with the carb body, it has fallen down into it. Basically when rotating the carb from 0 to 90 degrees, the float position does not move until 90 degrees. 

Also when I remove the pin to take the slide out, the little needle comes with the slide. Do I need to remove that needle from the slide before adjusting the tang?

The float is supposed to 'fall into the cavity' and just touch the tang. It is not supposed to press on it with all its' weight, just touch.

Rotate to 45 degrees. Then gently place the float on the tang. The brackets (and the line molded into the float) are points of reference, that you want to be 'square' with the carb gasket surface. Not on the same plane, but square.

You can leave the float needle i or take it out, it does not matter. But less is more and be gently.

• Helpful 1