What mods are actually worth putting on?

the bike is an 02 yz 125 and it came with quite a bit of stuff on it.  Not that i'm going to go out and spend extra $ on them but what else is even worth it? I still have a ways to go before i even consider racing, but I'd like to know whats worth spending $ on. 

not changing: frame, cylinder head, piston bore size, O-ring chain/sprocket(i hate aluminum wear items) aftermarket parts included when bought: bars/levers/grips/shifter/foot-pegs, full fmf exhaust, v force 3 reeds (may just buy a stock cage and put boyesen reeds on though)

honestly outside of possibly installing and fmf power-up jet kit and replacing the stock clutch, i dont see what else this bike needs.  yamaha already has inverted forks stock (and i have an extra pair of those too) and i like the rear shock.  do i really need to spend $ on an aftermarket clutch kit?? is it worth it to buy it or do i just hope that staying close enough behind the guy in front of me will cause him to make mistakes and then i pass him?

Edited by dr00andrew

sorry i'm a newbie and you have the silver membership.  how would i go about doing that lol?

• Like 1

A couple of must-haves...

Suspension sprung & valved for weight & riding style.

Personal fit/preference -- handlebars, grips, footpegs (higher or lower), seatfoam, seat cover, etc.

I was unaware you couldn’t post there. No worries about being a newb. If you can’t post, try a google search and you should get the threads to pull up. Lots of good info. Welcome to the pack!

If you want the WC braces, let me know. I have many sets of them hanging in the AZ shop and I should be their tomorrow. 

The thread of what works is a good thread from a 125 rider/ 

I've never heard anything bad about oem clutches.... if the bike wants to go forward  with the clutch  pulled in while in gear and reving inspect the clutch  basket  for notching. Can't go wrong with a Hinson clutch basket.

Edited by TwoFiddyYZ

Keeping the bike in tip-top shape already costs plenty. 

A fresh stock engine is better than a worn out one equipped with a shinny exhaust pipe or fancy multi-petal aftermarket reeds.

Many focus just on the engine but the chassis and suspension often gets neglected. (bearings, bushings, fluids etc.)

But if money is really burning a hole in your pocket, suspension mods offer the most potential gains.

No use having more power if the bike doesn't handle, get any traction or jumps like a pogo stick.

Meaning the right spring rates and valving to suit your weight/height, skill level and specific usage.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Grip donuts, spoke skins, seat cover, graphics, that will get you going then later you get the titanium fastners, billet kit, etc. Free mods include cutting the silencer down to 4” long supershorty, razor blade fresh edges on your knobbies, and marvel mystery oil to keep her ripping hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

thanks for the feedback guys.  dont worry the bike runs awesome! great compression and it may even still be the original piston.  i usually only put a few hrs per weekend on it anyways.  it has great compression and all the internal engine parts are fine! i do wanna take the swingwarm off and inspect the bearings and repack them.  

the bike really is in excellent shape and i dont really think it needs any more modifications.  

I always have to laugh a bit at your mod culture. Just get better at riding, that helps much more than modding your bike. And is cheaper also, keeping your bike in good condition is expensive enough. Just saying 😉

2 hours ago, ocdaan said:

I always have to laugh a bit at your mod culture. Just get better at riding, that helps much more than modding your bike. And is cheaper also, keeping your bike in good condition is expensive enough. Just saying 😉

On 10/17/2018 at 5:51 AM, dr00andrew said:

do i really need to spend $ on an aftermarket clutch kit?? is it worth it to buy it or do i just hope that staying close enough behind the guy in front of me will cause him to make mistakes and then i pass him?

i dont see any reason to spend 400 on an aftermarket clutch kit either

Edited by dr00andrew

9 hours ago, dr00andrew said:

i dont see any reason to spend 400 on an aftermarket clutch kit either

I'm saying if your basket is worn, with Hinson more than likely you will never buy another, I found a complete used clutch on ebay for my 250 with a like new Hinson basket for $100

Edited by TwoFiddyYZ

Nice!

As for "bang for the buck", tires and suspension are the way to lower lap times (and of course more practice).  

• Like 1