Piston slap in 2006 crf 250r

Just bought a Crf250r and am the third owner, the bike is making a rattle from the top end of engine , I took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed it with piston slap which is when the piston is Worn in the cylinder, these bikes are supposed to be run for 15hrs before a new piston and rings. Wonder the longest somebody has got out of a top end. Thanks

I don't think anyone is replacing the pistons in these bikes at 15 hours unless your a pro.  I usually run 40-60 hours on mine and have yet to pull one out that is out of tolerance.  I've heard of guys getting 150 hours or more out of them as well.  All depends on the type of riding your doing.  Its also worth noting that the CRF's are known for noisy top ends. People often confuse the sound produced from the auto decompressor with an unwanted engine problem.

If your the third owner and have no history on the bikes maintenance it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the piston and rings (also replace the cam chain).  Measure the cylinder and make sure everything is still to spec.  Just done be alarmed if the noise is still there. 

• Like 1