2017 XR650L blowing blue smoke at cold startup

Hello everyone, my 2017 XR650L with 11k miles is blowing blue smoke at cold startup, it also blows black smoke when revved, after it warms up the smoking stops, is it possible that it needs new valve seals?. It has the smog crap removed, stock carb with Dave's mod, 55 and 158 jets with Uni filter, and stock exhaust.

Cheers.

Is the oil getting "darker" faster than usual? (what oil do you use)

Did you do a compression test?

When you say "stops smoking" is that: blue smoke at start up and dark smoke at high revs  (both scenario's) it stops smoking?

• Like 1

Hello everyone, my 2017 XR650L with 11k miles is blowing blue smoke at cold startup, it also blows black smoke when revved, after it warms up the smoking stops, is it possible that it needs new valve seals?. It has the smog crap removed, stock carb with Dave's mod, 55 and 158 jets with Uni filter, and stock exhaust.

Cheers.

My 2017 dr650 with 11,500 also smokes occasionally on start up but theres never any noticeable oil usage so I just chalk it up to a little oil pooling in the intake, because if I’m really beating on the bike it seams to smoke worse the next cold start but its not every start on mine, and my dad has a 2016 dr650 that does the same, its normal just think of it as extra lubrication for the rings.

• Like 1

Is the oil getting "darker" faster than usual? (what oil do you use)
Did you do a compression test?
When you say "stops smoking" is that: blue smoke at start up and dark smoke at high revs  (both scenario's) it stops smoking?
I've used Motul 10W40 synthetic since new, nothing else, oil changes every 2k mi with 300ml fill up in between changes. The oil doesn't look pitch black, but hard to tell how dark it is getting since Motul synthetic is red, no noticeable shavings on the filter.

I will do a dry/wet compression test this weekend and check the plug, I will post pics.

It stops smoking all together after it is warm, no blue or black smoke visible, but I can smell it is running rich, it has been hard to get the carb happy since I change elevations and road conditions considerably on my 128km daily commute, it starts at 1.5 miles up a cold mountain, and then down to hot sea level (runny nose all the time, lol), half of it is WOT on highways, the other half is stop ang go traffic jam, so I guess I would be better on the rich side.

Cheers.

My 2017 dr650 with 11,500 also smokes occasionally on start up but theres never any noticeable oil usage so I just chalk it up to a little oil pooling in the intake, because if I’m really beating on the bike it seams to smoke worse the next cold start but its not every start on mine, and my dad has a 2016 dr650 that does the same, its normal just think of it as extra lubrication for the rings.
I read somewhere that a puddle of oil forms on the exhaust side valve when the bike is parked, I will try parking it leaning it to the other side and see what happens.

you could be simply as you said be getting some oil pulled into the intake seals............ \it is normal wear and not a problem.

It probably smokes a bit worse when the choke is on ,,,..again pulling through the seals.

I would be more concerned if I saw NO oil at start up as you do now.

My XR650L has 5100 and does the "four stroke smoke" dance a bit as well................ Motul is a good oil.

• Like 1

Valve seals should be fine at that mileage. Your main jet is maybe one size too big for the stock pipe. Too rich will wash the oil from the cylinder and cause wear.  What does your oil smell like and how quickly does the bike start , hot and cold.