Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×

Correct piston size for 2005 RM125 cylinder after re-plating

I recently purchased a 2005 RM125 that had a blown engine.  After taking the cylinder off, I noticed that the piston had cracked and that the inside of the cylinder has a few scratches in it.  I was going to send it off to PowerSeal to be re-plated, but I don't know how the new piston will fit after the re-plating is done.  Do I need a custom sized piston for my build, are there different piston sizes for Suzuki bikes (A, B, C, D) or will any 05-07 RM125 piston fit the newly plated bore?  

19 minutes ago, uninc4life said:

I recently purchased a 2005 RM125 that had a blown engine.  After taking the cylinder off, I noticed that the piston had cracked and that the inside of the cylinder has a few scratches in it.  I was going to send it off to PowerSeal to be re-plated, but I don't know how the new piston will fit after the re-plating is done.  Do I need a custom sized piston for my build, are there different piston sizes for Suzuki bikes (A, B, C, D) or will any 05-07 RM125 piston fit the newly plated bore?  

I have a 2004 Suzuki RM125 and it uses the same Piston/rings/wrist-pin/bearing and clips I got. I ordered the OEM and worked perfectly. They also have a KIT that includes the Gaskets plus the Piston/ring/bearing ect... Yours is a K5 (mine is a K4)...

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

-> Crankshaft

--> 1912101-36821PISTON KIT | OPT FOR E28 MODEL K4/K5/K6; Includes Item(s) 20 - 24

$126.38

4 In-Stock

2512100-36871TOP END KIT, ENGINE | OPT FOR E3 MODEL K4/K5/K6; Includes Item(s) 26 - 31

$171.18

Does the first kit include just the piston+rings+bearings while the second kit contains that plus the gaskets? 

2 hours ago, uninc4life said:

Does the first kit include just the piston+rings+bearings while the second kit contains that plus the gaskets? 

That is correct, comparing to other options it works out to be a better deal for me anyways. I just got done doing the crank/all bearings in the cases/seals and top-end all parts worked perfectly.

50 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

That is correct, comparing to other options it works out to be a better deal for me anyways. I just got done doing the crank/all bearings in the cases/seals and top-end all parts worked perfectly.

That's good to know.  Thanks for that info.  I feel better going with an OEM piston and components. 

34 minutes ago, uninc4life said:

That's good to know.  Thanks for that info.  I feel better going with an OEM piston and components. 

Spending that kind of money and from experience nothing worse than parts that don't fit or work.

:thumbsup:

Ideally a new piston is sent by the customer along with the cylinder or, the replating company can offer to supply one for you.

Best to contact them and discuss of the options before buying any parts.

The plated cylinder's final diameter is matched to that piston and you then have a starting point which is per specs., no guessing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mlatour said:

Ideally a new piston is sent by the customer along with the cylinder or, the replating company can offer to supply one for you.

Best to contact them and discuss of the options before buying any parts.

The plated cylinder's final diameter is matched to that piston and you then have a starting point which is per specs., no guessing.

I would expect it would be the factory size, he could dial them up and verify. But the OEM should be fine, thankfully Suzuki is still manufacturing the parts.

:thumbsup: