18 crf 450 front brake to grabby

my 18 crf 450 front brake doesn't feel normal I mean as soon I try n pull the brake its rite their no play in the lever.i tried changing the pads it just has the feel as once ijust barely pull the lever its done and wheel is stopped.hard to explain basically their is no play like cushion in the lever usually they have some cushion before it starts to grab the rotor.has me puzzled maybe to much fluid not sure

Does the wheel spin freely on a stand?  Wondering if the brake is always engaged to some extent.

make sure the lever is releasing the master cylinder completely.

You could also try chamfering the leading and trailing edges of the pads with a file.  would give the pads a smaller contact patch?

I'm not convinced I have any great ideas.  Just trying to get the conversation rolling.

is this a new bike, or new to you? If not a new bike, has the brake always been this way? need more info...

front wheel turns easy no issues bought it used from a guy its just as soon as u start to pull the brake the lever is hard.my 13 has a cushion and spongy feel to it.

maybe your 13 had some air in the line, causing it to feel spongy? Does the new bike have any aftermarket stuff on the front brake, like a steel braided line?

• Like 1

My 17 is the same way grabby brakes but I like it personally. Few other ppl who have rode my bike make a comment on how grabby mine are as well. My front wheel spins super free also.

Ran into this issue myself when I vacuum bled my front brakes which is what I imagine they do at the factory or at least a similar method, all I did was held the front brake lever as tight as I could get it and cracked the bleeder with a recovery bottle attached to it. It Just lets out a little pressure and pressure is good now, got maybe a quarter of a inch before they start grabbing and at about 3/4 on inch it locks up.

Have you thought about trying a floating rotor to achieve the feel you're after?

Maybe the brake pad heatshield is removed, that gives a more direct feel.

not sure my buddies bikes aren't like this so odd brakes are good and just doesn't have any free play at all in lever.tried adjusting the lever bolt adjustment and diff levers even a asv lever and no diff.

Does the bike actually stop? The reason I ask is, I'm wondering if the lever is binding in the linkage there. Does moving the lever take and excessive amount of effort? Can you lock the front wheel with 1 or 2 fingers?