'98 DR350SE won't start, help :)

Hi - I read thru all the fun in these 350-wont'-start threads... and here is my situation.

Bot this '98 DR350SE a month ago.. at the time the seller cold-started in front of me with a couple of kicks, no problem. I transported the bike back home in a van, so had to lay on its side - if that makes a difference.

But haven't had any luck to start it - have taken off the carb, put on a new spark plug - it has spark. tried spraying starting fluid into the neck that connects to the carb, and into the spark plug hole... nothing worked. When I kicked there wasn't even a pop or any indication that it tried to start.

the e-starter is dead and there is no battery.. I have purchased new ones that will come in a couple of days.

But at the mean time, what else can I try?   can't be timing or anything like that?

thanks!

You will need to check the valve adjustments.

It wouldn't hurt to go to the auto parts store and get a compression gauge to see if the motor is even capable of lighting off.

2 hours ago, crazynaclh20 said:

You will need to check the valve adjustments.

It wouldn't hurt to go to the auto parts store and get a compression gauge to see if the motor is even capable of lighting off.

14 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

check valve clearances

ok will do... actually bot a compression gauge to test shortly... the thing that gets me is the seller cold started in front of my eyes.... so what could have happened during a short 2 hour ride home in a van :)

Edited by Don Zou

There are all kinds of tricks to get a motor to run for a very short time. Not saying you got duped, just saying there are shady people out there. All in all, if the motor has air, fuel and spark you should get at the least a different noise out of it when kicked. Not knowing how strong the kernel of the spark is and the compression of the cold cylinder, it will be hard to say if it will run. 

1 hour ago, crazynaclh20 said:

There are all kinds of tricks to get a motor to run for a very short time. Not saying you got duped, just saying there are shady people out there. All in all, if the motor has air, fuel and spark you should get at the least a different noise out of it when kicked. Not knowing how strong the kernel of the spark is and the compression of the cold cylinder, it will be hard to say if it will run. 

what would the 'tricks' be? maybe I can use the same to get it started?  the seller started on the 2nd kick and it idled for 5 minutes while I tried the throttle and walked around the bike.... I didn't test ride because the throttle was a little sticky and I'd have to close the valve by hand on the carb.

One old school dirty trick was to put a bit of 80-90 gear oil in the cylinder before the buyer gets there.

This will bump the compression enough to get it to run. I am in no way saying that this happened but I've seen it done on old cars, in fact my dad and I had it happen to us. Once it starts it will run but has a serious lack of power. It puffs out some smoke like it has old cracked valve seals. If I were you, don't jump to any conclusions, just check your cold cylinder compression as that is the easiest thing to do. If you see you have compression then do the valve adjustments. If your using starting fluid it should be very easy to light off, just be careful as too much of that stuff can wash bearings.

Also if I recall the SE model has a kick stand safety switch. 

Kick it about ten or fifteen times with the ignition off. If the plug isn't wet, then your pilot is clogged.

Usually my ritual is something along these lines:

If parked for over a week

-kick it ten times as fast as I can with the decompression lever pulled in at wot

-full choke, go to tdc and give it a big one

>if it barks, then choke in, kick it ten times and do it again. Usually works first or second time.

If parked for a day or so:

-kick it over five times at wot with the decompression lever pulled in

-half or full choke, go to tdc and kick it over

>if it barks, then repeat until it starts.

Have you tried bump starting to see if you can get it to at least bark?

Sometimes the kill switch can get iffy if wet press it in and out a few times and try again.

58 minutes ago, crazynaclh20 said:

One old school dirty trick was to put a bit of 80-90 gear oil in the cylinder before the buyer gets there.

This will bump the compression enough to get it to run. I am in no way saying that this happened but I've seen it done on old cars, in fact my dad and I had it happen to us. Once it starts it will run but has a serious lack of power. It puffs out some smoke like it has old cracked valve seals. If I were you, don't jump to any conclusions, just check your cold cylinder compression as that is the easiest thing to do. If you see you have compression then do the valve adjustments. If your using starting fluid it should be very easy to light off, just be careful as too much of that stuff can wash bearings.

Also if I recall the SE model has a kick stand safety switch. 

then it would have the same 80-90 oil in there right now... I haven't changed the oil yet.  yes will test compression after I get the meter.

57 minutes ago, Foil said:

Kick it about ten or fifteen times with the ignition off. If the plug isn't wet, then your pilot is clogged.

Usually my ritual is something along these lines:

If parked for over a week

-kick it ten times as fast as I can with the decompression lever pulled in at wot

-full choke, go to tdc and give it a big one

>if it barks, then choke in, kick it ten times and do it again. Usually works first or second time.

If parked for a day or so:

-kick it over five times at wot with the decompression lever pulled in

-half or full choke, go to tdc and kick it over

>if it barks, then repeat until it starts.

Have you tried bump starting to see if you can get it to at least bark?

Sometimes the kill switch can get iffy if wet press it in and out a few times and try again.

I already took the carb off and sprayed starting fluid into the engine thru the neck (?) to the carb, and thru the spark plug hole.

and there is spark when I pull the plug out and kick it.

I will try the e-starter in a couple of days (ordered new battery and starter).

No you dont add 80/90 to the oil. You put it in the sparkplug hole. This will seal the rings/ piston, just long enough to get the engine to run. 

I would not try this as your compression check will tell the tale for you.

1 hour ago, crazynaclh20 said:

No you dont add 80/90 to the oil. You put it in the sparkplug hole. This will seal the rings/ piston, just long enough to get the engine to run. 

I would not try this as your compression check will tell the tale for you.

ok got it... will check shortly and post update.. thx.

pretty sure that's not the case as the first time I pulled the plug there were old spider webs on it lol.

Edited by Don Zou

Are you sure this is a '98 350S?  The 1998 DR350S did not come with a kick starter from the factory.  If it has one it was added afterwards by the owner.  

The 1998 also has an automatic decompression so there will not be a decompression lever on the handle bars.  I just want to make sure we are talking about a '98 350S.

It sounds to me as though your pilot jet is plugged, or the carb is a severe mess.  Laying the bike on it's side would have shaken up any sediment or debris in the carb and more than likely got clogged.  I would start with a carb rebuild myself.  I find it hard to imagine that the the starting fluid make it into the engine if it has spark and you saw it run before you bought it.  Take small steps first.  The valves didn't suddenly get out of whack laying the bike on it's side.

Get the new battery and starter installed.  Take it slow.  Get a good trickle charger on the battery and then troubleshoot the starting.  I'd bet you a beer that with a carb rebuild (at least a good clean out, an estarter and a new battery the bike will try to run.

You found a good year for the 350S with desirable estart, improved suspension and the auto decompression head.  It's worth spending the time on to not complicate the issues.  This is a good bike to invest time into. Good luck and keep us posted.  

3 minutes ago, brainwashed said:

Are you sure this is a '98 350S?  The 1998 DR350S did not come with a kick starter from the factory.  If it has one it was added afterwards by the owner.  

The 1998 also has an automatic decompression so there will not be a decompression lever on the handle bars.  I just want to make sure we are talking about a '98 350S.

It sounds to me as though your pilot jet is plugged, or the carb is a severe mess.  Laying the bike on it's side would have shaken up any sediment or debris in the carb and more than likely got clogged.  I would start with a carb rebuild myself.  I find it hard to imagine that the the starting fluid make it into the engine if it has spark and you saw it run before you bought it.  Take small steps first.  The valves didn't suddenly get out of whack laying the bike on it's side.

Get the new battery and starter installed.  Take it slow.  Get a good trickle charger on the battery and then troubleshoot the starting.  I'd bet you a beer that with a carb rebuild (at least a good clean out, an estarter and a new battery the bike will try to run.

You found a good year for the 350S with desirable estart, improved suspension and the auto decompression head.  It's worth spending the time on to not complicate the issues.  This is a good bike to invest time into. Good luck and keep us posted.  

yes I guess the kicker was added by a previous owner.

I already took the carb off and sprayed starting fluid directly into the engine, and nothing happened when I kicked.... and there is spark when I pull the plug out and look at it when I kick.

very puzzling.. anyways - compression test and estart to come... will update... thx.

success - sort of :)

after installed the new e-starter, the magic button did it, with starting fluid sprayed directly into the engine.... I guess I just wasn't kicking it hard enough lol.

next step is to completely clean the carb and put it back on.... should be good..

thanks guys!