Carburetor Spring

Riders,

I have a 2004 DRZ 400S ridden without problems, 5000 of its 15000 miles.  Suddenly it would not run at low rpm and I could only keep it going in its top rpm range.  Starting was only actuated using full throttle.  On disassembling the carburetor, I found, under the diaphragm cover, the spring connected to the valve piston bent over in a “U” shape.  It was not in its usual position straight up and down between cover and piston.  The rest of the carb was clean and on re-assembly the Z runs fine.

My question, when did the spring get curved over like that, and how?  PO might have done this but running well so long baffles me.  Thanks TT for all the helpful information.  Bruce from Yuba

difficult to say now without knowing the history, but is it really important?

refit it correctly and see how it goes and you will know for sure that you fitted it correctly and if it does it again then there is something wrong

Just a guess, but maybe the spring wasn't quite seated correctly during the last assembly, but still had enough tension in place to keep things working properly. Then a sudden jolt bumped the spring completely out of position.