1997 Honda xr250r will not start. Please help before snow flies

I rode my bike a month ago and it started fine after five minutes it died on me like it was out of gas. Now ever since it will not start. I’ve tried a new coil a new cdi a new plug and a plug boot, I’ve cleaned carb numerous times. There’s spark but weak I guess all 250s have weak spark. There’s gas going into engine there is no overflow of gas anywhere. All numbers on multimeter check out fine. Compression feels less than it was but the bike has always been very easy to kick over. Always a one two kick bike and now nothing I’ve tried a lot of stuff and still nothing. I live in Maine I wanna ride before snow flies. Please any help would be great or advice. 

182095C2-992A-4ABE-A337-027D095495FA.jpeg

15 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Have you tried to bump start it on a hill?

Yes I have and nothing. I pull the plug check spark and it has spark and it had gas in the float bowl. I cleaned the inlet behind choke on carb and everything

4 hours ago, BBCorvette18 said:

Make sure the decompression lever isn't stuck.

The lever and cable was taken off before I got the bike and it was never a problem before. The cable attached is still on there but no cable so I’m not even sure as to what position it should be in. I played with it and it still seems to move as if the lever was being pushed in

Just make sure the cable isn't pulling on the arm at the head. You should be able to tell which position is opening the valve. 

A hard starting XR is a classic symptom of the valves out of adjustment.  Pop the caps off and check the gaps on your rocker arms. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crandall said:

Yes I have and nothing. I pull the plug check spark and it has spark and it had gas in the float bowl. I cleaned the inlet behind choke on carb and everything

Is the sparkplug wet with gas when you pull it right after trying to start it?

4 hours ago, XRrider89 said:

A hard starting XR is a classic symptom of the valves out of adjustment.  Pop the caps off and check the gaps on your rocker arms. 

👍

6 hours ago, BBCorvette18 said:

Just make sure the cable isn't pulling on the arm at the head. You should be able to tell which position is opening the valve. 

No it’s not stuck or opening at all it’s in the right position so nothing wrong there. I’m at a loss to what it could be I tried putting a little gas in the spark plug hole and still nothing I’ve tried bump starting it and nothing and it has a strong spark. The only thing left would be the valves to check. But would that cause all this to not start?

Go to the local auto parts store and get some Ether (Starting fluid). Pull your air filter and give a good spray to the intake tract. Then try to start it. If it fires for a few seconds the problem is fuel. If it doesn't fire at all it's most likely mechanical since it has spark. Yes, Honda's have notoriously weak spark's.

• Like 1

Did you put in a new spark plug?  Do that first.  I had the same problem many moons ago with a weakly fouled plug - sparked just fine when it was out of the cylinder, but wouldn't spark when it was inside under pressure.

Edited by jayc250x

You won't know what valve clearances are until you check them. more work less belly aching. with Intake valves too tight it really does not want to start. I do hope you are not looking for spark on a dirty plug. Why do I think there is no starting fluid on the premises?  Do some stuff until you find out what it takes to make it work.

Edited by Robert Branson
more info

5 hours ago, az_mc_man said:

Go to the local auto parts store and get some Ether (Starting fluid). Pull your air filter and give a good spray to the intake tract. Then try to start it. If it fires for a few seconds the problem is fuel. If it doesn't fire at all it's most likely mechanical since it has spark. Yes, Honda's have notoriously weak spark's.

omg do not use starting fluid, that shit was made to start an old diesel engine in extremely cold weather not a gas powered engine.   

😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵Ever read the uses on the back of the can of modern ether? I've used it to start gas engines thousands of time's. You do not want to try to run an engine on ether, but to light the fire it works great.

3 minutes ago, az_mc_man said:

😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵Ever read the uses on the back of the can of modern ether? I've used it to start gas engines thousands of time's. You do not want to try to run an engine on ether, but to light the fire it works great.

i don't need to read the can of modern ether, if you find a can of ether in your local mc maintenance/repair shop run like hell and don't look back 

I've bought numerous bikes off craigslist that were posted as "ran fine but now won't start" ,( drz125, xr100)  I  kick it a couple times & nothing , pull air filter & spray a shot of starter fluid & bike starts right up then dies. Throw a low ball offer out take bike home & clean carb or buy cheap carb off e-bay for small bikes and bike runs fine. Wal-mart carb cleaner is about $1 for a can.

I've bought numerous bikes off craigslist that were posted as "ran fine but now won't start" ,( drz125, xr100)  I  kick it a couple times & nothing , pull air filter & spray a shot of starter fluid & bike starts right up then dies. Throw a low ball offer out take bike home & clean carb or buy cheap carb off e-bay for small bikes and bike runs fine. Wal-mart carb cleaner is about $1 for a can.
Did the same with my xr4, got it for 400$ because the kid couldn't start it. Clean the carb and it ran fine ever since.