Trailtech in line temp sensor q's

All the pics online showing where to install temp sensor have radiator hoses routed differently than mine...I have a hose coming from head to right radiator too small for sensor to fit.  There is one from left radiator to water pump I could use but will that be giving me best place to take temp reading?  There is a hose that goes from left to right radiator also...most examples show a hose from left radiator to head.  I dont have that for some.reason.  here are some pics of my radiator hoses.

Pics...

1 Left side 

2 Top

3 Right side 

4 Right side

20181017_144818.jpg

20181017_144832.jpg

20181017_144855.jpg

20181017_144840.jpg

Can you do without the idiot light on the dash cluster and just replace the temp sender in the radiator. One is for the fan and one for the overheat light on the dash. Is the trailtech capable of an overheat warning?

Looks like my only option is the outlet hose flowing from left radiator to water pump.  Is there any sense in putting a temp sensor in this location?  Seems like the OEM one is better option reading temp of fluid coming right out of the head  - but Im trying to get rid of the OEM idiot lights and put this TrailTech stuff in...now I'm not sure what to do...someone else must have had this issue...what to do?

Use the stock sender hole in the upper left corner of the pic you posted

My temp sensor replaced the air bleed bolt on the left radiator.
Mine too but I'm low on coolant because it hasn't gotten over 100 degrees yet lol

1 hour ago, Sasha Rudolfski said:

Looks like my only option is the outlet hose flowing from left radiator to water pump.  Is there any sense in putting a temp sensor in this location?  Seems like the OEM one is better option reading temp of fluid coming right out of the head  - but Im trying to get rid of the OEM idiot lights and put this TrailTech stuff in...now I'm not sure what to do...someone else must have had this issue...what to do?

Call Trailtech and ask them to send you the screw in sensor and put it in the top of the radiator.

Yep, mine also replaces the bleeder screw in the left rad. Best way to do it. 

I put the 6mm x 1 probe in the 6mm hole in the backside of the head just above the ACCT/MCCT . it read the oil temp and has been much more accurate than the the I have had in the radiator .  I've always hated those inline units because it's another 2 connections and possible failure(maybe a low%) . Most of my bike & atvs get the sensors put in the head where the oil is it's hottest .  Unfortunately if you already have a kit the probe will be 1/8 BSPP not the 6mm x 1 needed , but you can get one from TrailTech . https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o1&cc=us&creative=281105506479&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwcWPB7NbjiQF-VB7brEAL2UhXdSven5gDKDkzVGva_KQ3meW8UqfVxoCfU0QAvD_BwE&key=Trail-Tech-Water-Temperature-Sensor-Probe&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3301756018&mrkgcl=500&network=g&product_id=TRH004L-X001-Y001&pssource=true&rkg_id=0&segment=badger

DSCN1648.JPG

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

trail tech is going to exchange my in-line for any of their temp sensors.  For jjktmrider's way @ back of head that is the M6x1mm probe and for Erik Marquez way at water neck near OEM thermostat that is also the M6 x 1mm probe?

in back of head what is the temp range ?

at water neck what is temp range ?

Edited by Sasha Rudolfski

trail tech is going to exchange my in-line for any of their temp sensors.  For jjktmrider's way @ back of head that is the M6x1mm probe and for Erik Marquez way at water neck near OEM thermostat that is also the M6 x 1mm probe?
in back of head what is the temp range ?
at water neck what is temp range ?

Yes the water neck is also an M6 x1.0

The one in the back of the head usually read 180º to 200ºF and be stable with the motor temperature.  I've given up on water temps since they change too much depending if the thermostat is open or closed and how much , how warm or cold the ambient air temp is , how fast a person is driving and the wind cooling effect , ect..

On my E which has the M6 screw in the top of the radiator (no thermostat), with air temps around 70 and riding trails, I run at about 185. I agree with above statement on water temps changing as yesterday it was quite a bit cooler, about 65 degrees and my coolant temp never made it over 160.

I run mine in the hose that comes out of the thermostat (water neck?). Works great, I had a coolant leak and I have my trail tech give me a warning light at 210 F I think. I was able to avoid overheating my bike because of it.

Nice!  I have never seen the probe in the back of cylinder head and i like that!  Great insight and any idea what that bolt is there for?  

It's for checking oil flow  , it leads into the oil feed passage going up to the cam caps . The probe isn't long enough to go into the main flow passage and alter flow but yet has oil circulating around the tip good. Just make sure to use some rvt around the threads(applied on the probe thread so none goes into the hole other than around the threads) , the probe doesn't need to be torqued down too much and worry about a seep . Another spot to put the probe may be in the hole just above and behind the oil filter . I've not tried it to see if the probe will slide down all the way but it should ,may not be as accurate though as in the head . Ideally I'd like to measure the oil temp as it is leaving the head ,when it will be at it's absolute  warmest, but without drilling and tapping a special hole the spot given is the next best .

One motor brand I can put a probe right above one exhaust [port, just next to the valve stem , so it's the hottest part of the motor , it runs 260-280F normally there whereas other spots I've put the probes I only see 200-220f,  it is an air cooled motor thus higher std temps . 

Edited by jjktmrider