R1peacock

YZ250F and YZ250FX Maps: What are you running?

I saw over on the WR 450 page that they have a “WR Maps” thread pinned to the top of their page where everyone posts different maps they’re running.  Can we start a similar thread on this page and get it pinned to the top for a quick “one thread” reference.  It would be nice to have a quick reference like that for the 250.  I just purchased a 2019 YZ250FX and would like to see some maps that everyone is running on their bike. 

RP

Edited by R1peacock
  • Like 4

Here are several FX maps, and my notes on how the map performed with the stock muffler.  I preferred the Dirt Bike Test Map + IG in the woods, and the GYTR Hard map on the MX track and sand.  When I put on the FMF 4.1 it definitely changed how the bike responded.  So, I created the FMF Woods Map and that is what I run now.  I found that after playing with the maps a bit you can definitely feel what they do and figure out which way to go to fine tune the map for your preference.  My observation is add fuel to smooth and slow the power, remove fuel and add ignition to add snap and faster revs.

Capture.thumb.JPG.f25963f764b53bcf665b69e88fd2fc6e.JPG

Edited by Pickle4
  • Like 1

Here are several FX maps, and my notes on how the map performed with the stock muffler.  I preferred the Dirt Bike Test Map + IG in the woods, and the GYTR Hard map on the MX track and sand.  When I put on the FMF 4.1 it definitely changed how the bike responded.  So, I created the FMF Woods Map and that is what I run now.  I found that after playing with the maps a bit you can definitely feel what they do and figure out which way to go to fine tune the map for your preference.  My observation is add fuel to smooth and slow the power, remove fuel and add ignition to add snap and faster revs.

Thank You. This is what I’m looking for and I’m sure others as well.

RP

On 10/18/2018 at 11:40 AM, Pickle4 said:

Going to give your FMF woods map a shot this weekend! I have the gytr exhaust with quiet core insert in my 2018 wr250f this should be pretty similar what do you think?

1 hour ago, Scralatchtica824 said:

Going to give your FMF woods map a shot this weekend! I have the gytr exhaust with quiet core insert in my 2018 wr250f this should be pretty similar what do you think?

They GYTR slip-ons are re-branded FMF Powercore or 4.1 slip-ons, depending on which one you bought. So, I would expect you WR to run very similar to my FX considering you must also have the comp ECU.  

I'm curious what would happen if you did -4 on fuel across the board and +4 on ignition across the board thing would be a beast

I'm curious what would happen if you did -4 on fuel across the board and +4 on ignition across the board thing would be a beast
Give it a try. I would expect the bike to be way too snappy and stall prone to be any good in the woods....

This is great thank you.  It also gives me a better understanding of how the mapping works.  I race harescrambles in the southeast in the B class.  I bought the FMF 4.1 muffler in April and since the day I bought it I've had bad race starts and a hesitation at the bottom.  I was running the Jason Raines map which I'll share shortly.  I used the FMF Woods map you suggest and even though I still had a bad start I did like the map better than the Raines.  Possible contributing factors are I have the ktmandhusky.com fuel rail and I haven't checked the tolerances on my valves in 60 hours.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:06 AM, Honeybagder said:

This is great thank you.  It also gives me a better understanding of how the mapping works.  I race harescrambles in the southeast in the B class.  I bought the FMF 4.1 muffler in April and since the day I bought it I've had bad race starts and a hesitation at the bottom.  I was running the Jason Raines map which I'll share shortly.  I used the FMF Woods map you suggest and even though I still had a bad start I did like the map better than the Raines.  Possible contributing factors are I have the ktmandhusky.com fuel rail and I haven't checked the tolerances on my valves in 60 hours.

I have not found the ktmhusky fuel rail to make me want to chase different mapping, bike runs the same.  You would be able to tell if your valve clearances are starting to get tight.  It won't start so well every time when it is warm, especially when starting it in gear.  Plus it will pop on decel  a lot more often.  From what I have seen from riding 250 + hours on 2 different 250 FX's, if you keep the air filter clean and change the oil often enough, the valves don't move.  How many total hours are on your bike?   Did you have good race starts before you put the FMF 4.1 on?   Its been discussed a bunch here, are you priming the bike in preparation of the race start?

YZ250FX with FMF PowerCore 4 and MegaBomb header. I used to run the factory Hard Hitting map and really liked it, but now with the new pipe I've found nothing that gets that snappy response and low down power I had before. I tried the FMF woods map and didn't care for it, and the factory hard hitting map--also no good. Currently I'm just back to stock all 0s. Anyone running that combo pipe and header that has had any luck with mapping?

YZ250FX with FMF PowerCore 4 and MegaBomb header. I used to run the factory Hard Hitting map and really liked it, but now with the new pipe I've found nothing that gets that snappy response and low down power I had before. I tried the FMF woods map and didn't care for it, and the factory hard hitting map--also no good. Currently I'm just back to stock all 0s. Anyone running that combo pipe and header that has had any luck with mapping?
Just thinking out loud here.....

Assuming the full FMF system flows more than OEM, what you describe may be caused by the map being too lean. Try a map that adds fuel and ignition advance.
  • Helpful 1

2019 fx with less than 10 hours, only mod has been to add the LEXX xc spark arrestor and the smaller tip to reduce the noise level ( Need to test this at the park soon ). 

I am hoping to find someone local to tune for beer.  I think im going to want to try the woods map ...  we shall see