Jump to content

OKO carb kit from Mid-Atlantic Vintage Trials.

Recommended Posts

So I'm not sure I'm ready to execute this level of mod yet, but I pulled the trigger and ordered the OKO carb kit from Mid Atlantic.  

I also ordered a Motion Pro throttle cable before the OKO carb kit arrived.  It looks like I will have to order another throttle cable with a straight end at the throttle connection as the Carb kit came with the angled throttle input.  Anyone know which motion pro cable would be best?

I'm itching to put this in and try it out, but I don't want to miss out on the last few riding weeks of the season in Canada so I may put it off for a winter mod.  Figured I would post pictures of the kit in case anyone else is interested.

Quick delivery from Mid Atlantic, received it in Canada 1 week from order.

Wish me luck!

 

 

OKO crf230f kit from Mid Atlantic trials box.jpg

Throttle cable 01-0807.jpg

OKO crf230f kit from Mid Atlantic trials.jpg

Carb closeup.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Prooney said:

So I'm not sure I'm ready to execute this level of mod yet, but I pulled the trigger and ordered the OKO carb kit from Mid Atlantic.  

I also ordered a Motion Pro throttle cable before the OKO carb kit arrived.  It looks like I will have to order another throttle cable with a straight end at the throttle connection as the Carb kit came with the angled throttle input.  Anyone know which motion pro cable would be best?

Sorry, mine came with a cable by the PO. I will be building a spare cable using parts from Flanders.

The OKO is a good mod. Just make sure the adapters don't leak.

Here is my writeup http://bit.ly/2jH07jP

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does that actually say:

"Delicate motorcycle engine"

Right on the box??

Don't let your bike get a good look at that box !!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most all the parts are Kelighn. Look inside the bowl to see if they did or forgot to grind off PWK stamp? I have 3 OKO's and they ground it off on one of them. You will notice your air screw has a rubber oring. The PWK's don't. So I always replaced my PWK air screw with one from Midatlantic. The oring stabilizes the screw body if you have an extended one for hand adjustment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Most all the parts are Kelighn. Look inside the bowl to see if they did or forgot to grind off PWK stamp? I have 3 OKO's and they ground it off on one of them. You will notice your air screw has a rubber oring. The PWK's don't. So I always replaced my PWK air screw with one from Midatlantic. The oring stabilizes the screw body if you have an extended one for hand adjustment

I wouldn’t expect any of the OKO carbs to have Keihin made in Japan parts in them. Just because there is a marking does not mean it’s not a fake especially if it’s ground off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevetheSnake said:

I wouldn’t expect any of the OKO carbs to have Keihin made in Japan parts in them. Just because there is a marking does not mean it’s not a fake especially if it’s ground off. 

The jets and needles are for sure Keihin. I predict they are like GMC and chevy, rolling out the same door. Holding them both in my hands, they are either a good copy..... or the same other than the OKO molding on the side verses PWK Keilhin

Edited by 1gr8bldr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

The jets and needles are for sure Keihin. I predict they are like GMC and chevy, rolling out the same door. Holding them both in my hands, they are either a good copy..... or the same other than the OKO molding on the side verses PWK Keilhin

There are differences as people running them do not use the same jetting as a genuine Keihin. Keihin are made in Japan the others are not. Just because it has a Keihin stamp it could easily be a Chinese reproduction. The slides are usually a give away as the Keihin don’t fit and the others look crude. 

My buddy bought a knock off of a OKO for his Yamaha 230 and has spent months modifying it to try and get it to work. He borrowed all my jets and it is still not even in the ball park of reality. It is a complete POS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

My buddy bought a knock off of a OKO for his Yamaha 230 and has spent months modifying it to try and get it to work. 

Knockoff of a knockoff? Seems like a big time sink given the OKOs are pretty cheap.

My understanding is OKOs are "Grade A POS" and pretty good. For mine, I have transferred my Keihin jet collection and have found that main and pilot behave as expected.  Air screw (opposite of stocker) works well. The carb responds linearly to changing all these things across an elevation range from sea level to 12000 feet.

Edited by RedMesa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

There are differences as people running them do not use the same jetting as a genuine Keihin. Keihin are made in Japan the others are not. Just because it has a Keihin stamp it could easily be a Chinese reproduction. The slides are usually a give away as the Keihin don’t fit and the others look crude. 

My buddy bought a knock off of a OKO for his Yamaha 230 and has spent months modifying it to try and get it to work. He borrowed all my jets and it is still not even in the ball park of reality. It is a complete POS. 

The slides do fit, the difference being only the finish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

The slides do fit, the difference being only the finish

Not on some of the knock offs. They stick or are too loose. Definitely different quality, machining on the carbs and chrome on the slide. Reasoning why they end up using different jet sizes than the real thing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StevetheSnake said:

Not on some of the knock offs. They stick or are too loose. Definitely different quality, machining on the carbs and chrome on the slide. Reasoning why they end up using different jet sizes than the real thing. 

 

Never seen signs of this with the few I have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adnohguy said:

As long as it clears the bottom of the fuel tank when it is “un-bent”?

Yah, I probably should have checked that first.  😖

Looks like I may have to swap the cable anyways, or get a new throttle assembly.  The threaded part of the motion pro cable that screws into the throttle housing is much larger than the OEM cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went through some notes and updated my jetting tableOKO_Jetting.JPG.b12e10e4394bc1287b32cf2b25ac42ec.JPG

Strangely enough, 115/40 was my standard recipe for the stock carb at 6000 ft.

Details here http://bit.ly/2jH07jP

For modified engines, see this post https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1228495-specs-to-order-pwk28-carb/?do=findComment&comment=13779433

UPDATE: PO (previous owner) is a modified bike: piston, head, cam, exhaust.

 

Edited by RedMesa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 3 years on cr motion pro throttle on my other bikes only 20+ years. There must be something very different on China carbs rm . Your jet spec noway would our 4 230s with pwk carb run. As far as the knock off carbs yes poor Tony for his tt230 has had it on off 50 times. He almost got it right I have some of Steve's China carbs slides different problem child's. While others no problems. Sudco is almost ready to sell bolt on China carb kit compleat. Another thing learned on copy carbs. I gave one to buddy to make two sets adapters . He did a great job too bad they did not fit on the real pwk carbs. On all the 230s I have biult my nightmare was frist two carbs. First used one flea bay never got it to work. I made adaptors by hand expoy them on. Carb would not work after 5 days work. Next was copy carb my bad luck . Second time fight to heat carb to get adptors off. Then pre jetted new real pwk sudco carb 165.00 bingio happy since the day I got it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×