jamracing

Folding Queen Bed Frame For 6x12 Trailer

Looking for ideas to install a stowaway (folding) bed frame for a queen size air mattress.

E-track? Hinges? Two piece bed (half on either side of the trailer that meet in the middle)? Materials to consider - 2x4, 2x3, slats for the top or plywood?

So many ideas...

If weight isn’t a huge issue then I’d built a 2x4 hinged frame with 1x3 for slats on the bottom. Easy to add folding supports so the frame isn’t floating above the floor on the unhinged side. Why do you want a frame for an air mattress?

To be a bit more clear I’d make the frame about 1” longer and wider than the mattress and put 2x2s on the longer sides about 1/2” from the bottom. The slats should go on those.

4 minutes ago, dmozer74 said:

If weight isn’t a huge issue then I’d built a 2x4 hinged frame with 1x3 for slats on the bottom. Easy to add folding supports so the frame isn’t floating above the floor on the unhinged side. Why do you want a frame for an air mattress?

When pulling something, weight is always an issue...I'd rather not make it over-built if i don't have to. I'd probably split it into two pieces, that will allow me to mount it higher in the air (ceiling is ~6 feet, so if it's a one piece frame, it'll be 1 foot off the floor at most. if it's two pieces it'll be able to be ~3 feet off the floor, and help weight distribution).

Also just thought of something - Using just half of the queen bed is a single (i think)...

For the wife to join on camping trips, gotta be on the frame ;)

• Like 1

Putting it too low will create clearance problems with other things you carry. They will be in the way when you lay down the bed and you will have to move them somewhere else where they will be inconvenient. 

So here is the updated layout - the bed is split into two halves, 35" on one side, 25" on the opposite side. The 25" side is divided into two sections, one for a dining table, the other a heavier duty shelf/workbench. The height of 30" was determined by the proper height of the table. It'll be high enough to be out of the way, but low enough to be comfortable.398A19CB-9A7D-41C3-9446-D180161FCDBE.jpgA15C46BE-73CD-4D25-8BBB-276E91C8C880.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 5:50 PM, jamracing said:

So here is the updated layout - the bed is split into two halves, 35" on one side, 25" on the opposite side. The 25" side is divided into two sections, one for a dining table, the other a heavier duty shelf/workbench. The height of 30" was determined by the proper height of the table. It'll be high enough to be out of the way, but low enough to be comfortable.398A19CB-9A7D-41C3-9446-D180161FCDBE.jpgA15C46BE-73CD-4D25-8BBB-276E91C8C880.jpg

Awesome! what type of hinge system are you using? 

IMG_6879.JPG
Combo done. Dining table, work bench and single bed combined are the queen size bed. Just need to install it now...
Still trying to figure out the leg/hinge mechanism...mainly how to secure the legs when in the down position

IMG_6896.JPG
Mounting complete, now waiting for the locking leg hinges. Only downside is that I can't mount any e-tracks to the walls...more accessories, more problems

• Like 2

I really like your setup, nice work!

Cost no object, ideally those folding workbenches/tables and bed support could be made out of aluminium.

Even some type of quick disconnect hinges so the trailer can be freed up to carry occasional larger loads.

I often regret custom building my open bike trailer w/toolbox but lived in the city at the time

and with limited parking space needed something that fit in the garage.

Edited by mlatour