Yz rear fender swaps

I have an 06’ yz250 and wanted to know if a 15” rear fender would bolt straight up to the bike ? Or would I need to drill new holes

29 minutes ago, jw998 said:

I have an 06’ yz250 and wanted to know if a 15” rear fender would bolt straight up to the bike ? Or would I need to drill new holes

Bolts right up, but it's the new style, you need to trim the side panels. It can work.

Or get the UFO rear fender and side panels for your air box.

Or get the 2015 air box, side panels, rear fender.

• Like 2

Bolts right up, but it's the new style, you need to trim the side panels. It can work.

Or get the UFO rear fender and side panels for your air box.

Or get the 2015 air box, side panels, rear fender.

If I already have a restyle kit it would go with my air box and everything just fine right ?

3 hours ago, jw998 said:

If I already have a restyle kit it would go with my air box and everything just fine right ?

I had some extra plastic from my 2016 YZ125, and decided to use iron my 250.  I just bought a Polisport airbox for my 2005 YZ250 and all the 16 plastic bolted up to the 05 fine (just had to drill the front fender)

Hope that helps

What restyle kit do you have, complete with air box?

I believe it is the cycra but I bought it like this not sure if it is a kit or just newer plastics

As long as you have the entire kit w/air box, then everything will bolt up. You may need to buy to OEM or other square nuts (like the ones on r/fender to subframe) for the lower side number plates to the air box. Then there is the possibility of drill holes in front fender, modify number plate. Restyle kit search will bring theses photos up. 

Can you post photos of what you have. 

Maybe this will help, here''s my 2004 model with updated 2015+ style air box, side panels, and rear fender... from polisport. Have older 02-14 tanks shrouds on it. If you just need a rear fender the old style is only about $20 and with looks it's not really a noticeable difference with the fender itself. Look at this type of sidepanels/number plates and Google ufo yz250 restyle plastics..  basically  take a good look at the side panels/number plates... you want a rear fender that match's the style you have... either OEM, UFO restyle, and 2015+ style are the different types for 2002+ bikes.

20180915_161737.jpg

Edited by TwoFiddyYZ

12 hours ago, TwoFiddyYZ said:

Why yamaha making this so confusing... we need new 250 2 stroke!☹️

UFO restyle plastics is what screwed it up. If they would have just followed the OEM molds. But NO, they had to create their own rad scoops, side plastic to fit old air box, and fender. Then that also needs their graphics. 

2 stroke 2002-2014 plastics all interchange, 2015-2019 w/air box all interchange, and front fenders and number plate with minimal modifications.  

I'm pretty sure UFO came out with their Restyle kit a couple of years before Yamaha woke up and updated the YZs. This means their design was pretty-much Blue Sky, with nothing to reference but the 4-strokes.

Personally, I prefer the UFO design, and applaud their effort, but it does throw a curve into the mix.

Just don't get me going on the whole front fender hole pattern debacle! :rant: :foul: :banghead: :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaptDan said:

I'm pretty sure UFO came out with their Restyle kit a couple of years before Yamaha woke up and updated the YZs. This means their design was pretty-much Blue Sky, with nothing to reference but the 4-strokes.

Personally, I prefer the UFO design, and applaud their effort, but it does throw a curve into the mix.

Just don't get me going on the whole front fender hole pattern debacle! :rant: :foul: :banghead: :facepalm:

You really don’t like that sharp front fender eh? 

Just a few examples to help you along. 

:lol:

Urk. :(

Have you noticed how it does the flipper-flap when weighted down with mud? The older designs were much more rigid. I'm not a fan of fashion over function.

But I'm old. :cripple: :busted:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

Urk. :(

But I'm old. :cripple: :busted:

Never ride anymore.

Yes, me too.

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC
  • Like 1