Battery cca

I have a 2007 wr450, new to me. When I got it starter was gone. Put new starter on tonight. Older battery turns it over but doesn't start, it's a 130ca that came with it. Put mini quad battery on, 80ca and still doesn't start. Starter turns it over kinda fast but won't catch. Kick it over and starts perfect. Didn't have a meter at time To test while turning over on load. Do the batteries on these bikes need to be really good? Just wanted to know before I bought a new one tomorrow. I wanted the biggest cca yuasa I could fit and any suggestions on that?

Thanks again.....

You won’t know what the old battery had without testing it. The standard ytz7 or whatever they where should be fine. There are also a couple of lithium batteries that have more cca but shouldn’t be necessary unless your saving weight. 

Ok great thanks.
Does the lithium batteries last longer over all?
I was just in local stealership, he suggested

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=19&categoryId=25&itemId=7259

Its like double the cranking amps. He said it should fit even though mine is a 2007.
I already have a great charger that charges every battery made.

Is there a cheaper option that is as equally as good in quality?

The Shorai is pretty good. I tried a WPS and it sucked. But, good warranty. Checkout the @antigravity Batteries with ReStart tech as well. It's a smart battery that puts itself into a protective state if an impending overdischarge is iminent, something that is kiss of death of lithium batteries. Hit a button to wake the battery and it will release enough power to get you going. I have one in my 690 and it's been solid.

ag_restart.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply's. I have been reading abit here at work. I do like the idea of lithium but the fact that you can kill them easily concerned me. Which led me to the Antigravity you guys mentioned with restart, so you cant kill them.
I also like the idea of more cca. The Antigravity
Atz10rs is a little bigger and I'm not at home to measure.
Its L5.9 x H3.5 x W3.74 with 360cca.
Stock is L4.49 x H4.21 x W2.75 at 130cca

3 hours ago, Bigred78 said:

Any thoughts if. I could squeeze that in?

That might be a tough fit as the stock is the ATZ-7 series, but I'm not totally sure on the size of your battery box. To be honest though you'll still get better and higher cranking with the ATZ7-RS lithium vs a stock lead/acid and you'll never have to worry about over discharging it. If you don't have to worry about parasitic drains(which isn't usually a concern with off-road bikes) that AG-801 would be great too that your dealer originally suggested...you just may want to shop around for pricing..wink..wink..

That might be a tough fit as the stock is the ATZ-7 series, but I'm not totally sure on the size of your battery box. To be honest though you'll still get better and higher cranking with the ATZ7-RS lithium vs a stock lead/acid and you'll never have to worry about over discharging it. If you don't have to worry about parasitic drains(which isn't usually a concern with off-road bikes) that AG-801 would be great too that your dealer originally suggested...you just may want to shop around for pricing..wink..wink..
Thanks for info! What is your battery rated in cca? I know lithium isn't as good in the cold. But do you have cca ratings? I live in Labrador where is does get chilly. Sometimes in the fall when we're riding it gets down to 35-36 degree fahrenheit. I'm leaning toward giving you guys a try.
Thanks!

You cannot fit a larger battery than the stock size in a stock battery box. You shouldn’t need a larger battery than the stock size. Even the stock battery for a WR450 has enough power and holds a charge just fine. The lithium batteries have extra. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bigred78 said:

Thanks for info! What is your battery rated in cca? I know lithium isn't as good in the cold. But do you have cca ratings? I live in Labrador where is does get chilly. Sometimes in the fall when we're riding it gets down to 35-36 degree fahrenheit. I'm leaning toward giving you guys a try.
Thanks!

The ATZ7-RS is rated at 150 CA. Generally you won't see lithium rated in cca as it's a designation designed specifically for lead/acid(cranking on a lithium battery for the time necessary to rate it would generate extreme power and too much heat) but you'll usually see it designated as "lithium, practical, or just "cranking amps" which is comparable. As far as those temperatures go the battery will still work great. The key on really cooler days is to "wake" or "self warm" the battery by drawing off the battery before attempting to turn over for starting. This can easily be done by turning on your lights for a couple minutes or even engaging the ignition(without an actual start attempt) This will warm the cells to give you full capacity and cranking power. If you attempted to start right out of the gate the battery might come off as sluggish but another benefit of lithium is that it would recover pretty quickly vs lead/acid, which once you've exhausted during an attempt would likely not.    

One trick I use is to run the smaller case 8 cell lithium batteries in my WR’s. Then open some of the foam padding around the bottom where the battery doesn’t touch. Better breathing but my WR’s are built so they can use it. 

I like the Antigravity idea of the extra starting. @Antigravity Batteries Do they make that in the smaller case. Like this size. https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/small-case/ag-801/

3 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

One trick I use is to run the smaller case 8 cell lithium batteries in my WR’s. Then open some of the foam padding around the bottom where the battery doesn’t touch. Better breathing but my WR’s are built so they can use it. 

I like the Antigravity idea of the extra starting. @Antigravity Batteries Do they make that in the smaller case. Like this size. https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/small-case/ag-801/

The AG-801 is great for the extra cranking (240 CA) but our "small case" batteries won't have the space for any other extra components such as the BMS(battery management system)board that goes into the "RE-START" series as the"small case" are the most powerful battery you can get at the smallest size.  Typically they are used in a lot of custom applications or instances where the battery is relocated but of course can used in other applications. But again to answer you question, the ATZ7-RS is roughly the same size but just has a little less cranking amps. Still more than adequate to start those 450's though! 

• Like 1