2018 KLR650 - Blank Slate

Well I made an impulse buy yesterday and now have bone stock 2018 KLR650 with zero miles on it sitting my garage.

Current plan is to run it 800-1000 miles at first without doing any sort of mods or adjustments to it.   Give it time for a nice break-in period and make sure any mods I decide to try later are worth the trouble etc.

Thought I would check with you experts, just to see if there are any basic free or almost free tweaks you would do to the thing right away before even using it.

Thanks

Edited by SherpaHead
editing is fun

Better tires grease steering head and rear suspension linkage and swing arm

Thanks for the replies.

Dealer has seen it.  (That's where I bought it at...)

Been a LONG time since bought anything brand new that actually had 0 miles on it, so I went a bit crazy and wasted the extra cash for full warranty plan etc etc.

Yesterday I just did a quick check on it to make sure they had at least put oil and brake fluids in the thing and took a short 16 mile warmup ride.  Zero issues.

As time and the weather permit here, I will give it a very good examination.   Check all fasteners/fluids etc.    And do a lightly over-kill lube/grease job.

Re:   Tires.   Intending on just running the stock rubber until they run into slicks.

The plan for this KLR650 is to keep it at 90-95% + street use.    Will try to keep it in near mint-condition with nothing but light riding around town and maybe a very short 'tour' ride if I get feeling  more energetic this spring and decide to take a short trip somewhere..

(Got a nice pair of old KL250's ready to go if I decide to do any winter conditions or trails locally this winter....)

I do have a brand new KLR650 Tail bag sitting here, and will be tossing that on the thing.   That and a hand/wind-guard set I have sitting in a box here somewhere will be going on it soon.   But no other mods/adjustment are planned for it yet.

Is there any need to put a center-stand on one of these things?   Or would it just add weight/bulk for no good reason?    Stock unit seems pretty sturdy.....

Edited by SherpaHead
editing is fun

The number one mod for your LKR is a center stand (in mho) and I really like my SW-Motec.

I didn't have a centerstand on mine nor any of my current bikes , a few situations they would come in handy but most times , for me , they'd just be in the way and add more weight though down low. I do have an atv jack so tire changing isn't an issue which the stand would be very handy for if I didn't . I'd say it depends what you really plan on using the bike for and where . With the new models having all that plastic , crash guards may be near the top for any time it decides to lay down .

For preventative stuff , any new toy,auto, trailer , whatever I buy the first thing I do is go through all electrical connections and fill with dielectric grease . Then many of the bolts and such that will be taken off in a few years or longer , I'll take them out and antisieze everything , usually getting rid of that irritating loctite crap that some think is needed . Doing that to my truck when new has paid for itself tenfold now that things are getting rusted , yet fasteners come off with ease . It's a pain though and non rust areas of the country it'snot a big deal .

I also get a sheet of 3m chip guard and put strips over painted areas that will see rubbing or possible wear . This will keep the frame nice and "new " looking for a long time . Parts that are not painted but look like will rust easy get taken off and powdercoated (I have my own setup), but even a good paint with clear coat will go a long ways to helping out .

Edited by jjktmrider