Drained oil after 1st ride, what’s this

2019 ktm 300tpi, 1st ride out, 2 hours, dropped oil in trans and found this on the magnet. Not good either way but wondering what it is? Powervalve retainer?IMG_0690.JPG

Yep, that definitely looks like the power valve linkage retaining clip to me. Lucky you found it in one piece (and it still looks usable!)

Have you pulled off the right side power valve cover to check if a clip is still there?

• Like 1

Good find. It's in one piece, reinstall it and go!

For the power valve rod.  It's the small retaining clip on the end of a ball joint.  Think of the gas strut ball joints.

A few photos to help:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 12.58.42.jpg

af5ea2bd-5862-4cf4-800b-e962731250ca.jpg

Edited by mbrick

Is there physically a way it could get in the oil pan without passing thru the cylinder? Then creating damage. , that must be an extra bonus somehow from assembly...  Just going off my old memory of the last top end on my 300.

That had to have been dropped in there at the factory.  I'd be headed back to the dealership for a new bike.

I am with the others. Be heading back to dealership. I don’t recall a way for that part to make it to the drain plug bolt. Could be wrong. Check to see if it’s on the rod for the power valve.

There is enough room between the linkage and the grommet between the cylinder/cover and power valve governor for it to have fallen down and made its way to the drain plug

• Like 1