Honda XL500R internal oil filter

Hi,

I have a XL500R with internal mesh or oil filter, as I'm going to start working on it doing a general refurbish I'm wondering if any of you changed the internal filter for this model. I know that there is another model with an accesible oil filter fron the side but in this case this engine is different. 

Any info about this will be appreciated.

Not sure what you're saying here,,

Yes, your bike will have a mesh screen inside the left-hand side-cover to catch lumps.

None of the early (Pre RFVC) engines, apart from the FT400/500 Ascot had a proper oil filter.

It's a good idea to run a magnetic sump plug to keep an eye on whats going on inside,,

just lean the bike to the right every few hundred km's and check magnet for metal.

• Like 3

Thanks a lot Muzz now i see it more clear

My way to explain it was not the best. I'm going to order a gasket set and open to clean and take a look before I set new oil in.

• Like 1

Theyre pretty sturdy those oil filters. I recently had the side cover of my 81 xl500s and it was in perfect condition. I didn't even clean it, it was pristine. I bought a new gasket too, don't use gasket sealer with your new gasket.. I only use sealer if I'm in a pinch, don't have a new gasket, and the old one has a tear or a bit missing.

• Helpful 1