Tanner Black

Xr650l turn key and nothing

Just picked up a Xr650l 2005 model and when you turn on the key nothing no lights nothing so checked fuse box and there were very odd fuses in there is a 25 amp and two 30 amps and. 20 could this be the cause any help would be appreciated I’m new to the bike world

Test fuses, check battery ground to chassis, test operation of ignition switch with voltmeter. I would first suspect a main fuse somewhere since there are no lights at all. Bad ignition switch or connections possible. If the battery ground is not good there is no way for any current to flow. Try testing the battery voltage from positive to the frame bolts. If you have a meter just follow the wire up to the ignition switch and test until the 12v disappears.

You can use a wire to send power directly to the solenoid as well as directly to the actual starter to find out what is and isn't working.  I had a Ducati once that tended to burn out the starter solenoid (actually, it's a relay).  Jumping a wire directly to that as well as the positive connection to the battery would show me that it was the solenoid that wasn't working.  You don't even need a voltmeter to check those things.

And please continue this in the XR forum, as Joe already mentioned.