XR650R false TDC and almost broken foot

Long story short. 

Im a fresh owner of BRP and I love her very much. ❤️ 

But there is one thing... I call it "false TDC". Let me tell you, how do I start her up:

1. Honda dance
2. Looking for TDC - I hear click or sometimes double click.
3. Decomp and move kickstart inch or two down
4. KICK
5a. Bike starts up from first, second kick cold
5b. Kickstart just suddenly stops in middle almost braking my foot. When I decomp again, it moves freely.

It doesnt metter if its hot or cold.

It feels like there is another TDC after TDC i've found. 

Ofc when bike is running, it runs nice and strong. No strange noices, rattle or anything. 

is it possible I move kicstart (after finding TDC) down not enaugh - so when I get back to highest possition to give her good, healthy kick - I'm just hitting same TDC again? 😮  

9 minutes ago, mritch8 said:

That’s not possible if you go back up with the kick starter it’s not moving the piston

Yeah, just checked that - no metter if I move kick from TDC one inch , or four inch down - sometimes kick is one smooth or it just want to break my foot. 

Are you twisting throttle? Take your hand off & rest it in middle of handle bars.

3 minutes ago, bork said:

Are you twisting throttle? Take your hand off & rest it in middle of handle bars.

nope, once I tried with a bit throttle (same day when I bought it) and kickstart kicked me back - so nope 😛 

Once in a blue moon I find that false TDC also and it is painful.

4 minutes ago, firsthere said:

Once in a blue moon I find that false TDC also and it is painful.

I find it 2 on 3 tries 😕 

Remove all the auto decompression stuff. Yes it will take a little longer to do the (dance) but you can get TDC for sure. Just the way I do it. This is just a suggestion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mirage100 said:

Remove all the auto decompression stuff. Yes it will take a little longer to do the (dance) but you can get TDC for sure. Just the way I do it. This is just a suggestion.

At current state, Im just having to much TDCs :p Is it possible, that faulty auto decomp is causing that problem? 

At current state, Im just having to much TDCs :p Is it possible, that faulty auto decomp is causing that problem? 

I do not decomp after finding TDC, and I do not move I’d down an inch. I cycle through five time with decomp open, release decomp, find TDC, let kick return to top, then stand on it for max rotation. I do not remember hitting a second hard spot.

11 minutes ago, dbryant61 said:

I do not decomp after finding TDC, and I do not move I’d down an inch. I cycle through five time with decomp open, release decomp, find TDC, let kick return to top, then stand on it for max rotation. I do not remember hitting a second hard spot.

Well - I know. I also didnt like week or two after getting bike. It's getting worst at point, that 50% kicks end up with kickstart stops in middle 😕 

4 hours ago, Jarek Sharik said:

...Is it possible, that faulty auto decomp is causing that problem? 

Yes...so can improperly adjusted valves.

Edited by Hollerhead
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hollerhead said:

Yes...so can improperly adjusted valves.

Tomorrow will check them. I rally hope its just them :o thanks! 

I'm pretty sure I was talking to you on Facebook about this. Only thing I can really think of is that sometimes you miss tdc and are actually a bdc. I have started my 650r by hand before and never gotten a false tdc. Sometimes when your kicking it with the decomp in and then let it out the auto decomp will kick in and you have to kick it a time or two before you really find tdc. Try holding the decomp and kick it 5 times, not slow kicks but not like your trying to start it either. Then let the decomp out and kick slowly, dont stop once you feel resistance,  stop when you cant move it while sitting on the bike. Then while putting pressure on the kickstart slowly press the decomp until the kickstart breaks free (about 3in or so of movement). Then release the decomp, bring the kickstart to the top and one smooth long kick should do it. You dont need to kick it fast but a smooth strong kick, at the end of the kick of your doing it right should be sending the piston into the compression stroke, not kicking through the compression. Idgaf if your at 13:1 compression running on race fuel, if you do it right you should be able to start it in a tennis shoe no problem.

• Like 4

Today I checked valves. EX were ok, but IN too tight. So re-adjusted them and preppered for test.

Very carefully (keeping in mind kickstart sudden-stop) found TDC and kicked few times.

I have no idea, if IN valves could mess up something with auto-decomp or something - or it was very carefull starting up procedure I did today.....but kickstart didn't tried to brake my foot anymore! Yay :D 

Thanks for all tips, guys!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

YUUUUUP!
Manual decomp only

good sir you seems to have much knowladge. Could you please tell me what are differences between starting up bike with and without auto-decomp?