rainmaker8

Alta Motors shutting down?

That's sad if true

• Like 2

Seems like even those that like the idea of a performance electric dirt bike still haven't plunked down the cash on one. Likes are cool, but doesn't pay the bills. I ride 35 miles one way just to get to the trails, so even if I like what Alta is putting out, not feasible. I don't think I'm alone in the dual sport and off-road community. Petro bikes these days are damn good, so save them going away, where electric is the only option, eBikes have a serious uphill road to overcome on a number of levels. 

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

Appears to be true. Am guessing Harley pulling out was a major reason. 

• Like 2

The sales were up in a big way ,but the bottom line was down ,just not economic by the sounds of it

Sometimes you just have to use logic and common sense. I was lambasted for being critical of their claims when they ramped up their PR campaign recently. Anything an Electric vehicle maker tells you about range you can confidently figure it is a fake number that in real life is 3X-4X less in actuality. Anybody want to make a bet that unless an idiot buyer comes along and outright purchases Tesla. They will be next. They have 1000's of cars mothballed and unfilled orders screaming for delivery. When you lose money on every sale, its hard to keep doors open.

• Like 10

Sad day. But until there's better, affordable battery tech, the bikes are just not worth it. And their team was most likely not pushing those boundaries.

Keefer said they will be back and he can't give details

Tesla has massive backlog in orders on the the 3 ,I would Iove a 3 ,more performance than most cars , and would save me a fortune in fuel , like £300-400 a month even with the cost of charging

• Like 2

They can not expect to be competitive until the price and performance lines up with ice.

Let's be honest it's a 15000 dollar toy, not a real bike

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mog said:

The sales were up in a big way ,but the bottom line was down ,just not economic by the sounds of it

If they sold 1,000 bike so far this year at $12,000 per bike, that is $12,000,000.  Now, if it cost $24,000,000 to make those 1,000 bikes . . . 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

If they sold 1,000 bike so far this year at $12,000 per bike, that is $12,000,000.  Now, if it cost $24,000,000 to make those 1,000 bikes . . . 

More like Tax payers funded it like the other boondoggles......

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Seems like even those that like the idea of a performance electric dirt bike still haven't plunked down the cash on one. Likes are cool, but doesn't pay the bills. I ride 35 miles one way just to get to the trails, so even if I like what Alta is putting out, not feasible. I don't think I'm alone in the dual sport and off-road community. Petro bikes these days are damn good, so save them going away, where electric is the only option, eBikes have a serious uphill road to overcome on a number of levels. 

Need charging stations at trail heads lol. Battery exchange like an amazon locker.

i got to ride one and really liked it but I’m not target audience buyer. 

• Haha 2

About the only way I'd buy one is if I had a big enough piece of private property to ride on that was in earshot of others that could put the kibosh on my riding it. This was a big problem for riders who bought property in Inland Empire LA such as Temecula and Murrieta CA. I'd guess the size of that market is limited at best.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-off-road-battle-gets-noisy-focus-of-laws-turns-to-2005jul11-story.html

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I still love the idea of an electric bike but as it's been demonstrated here, it just isn't feasible yet. I think batteries at this scale still have some catching up to do with run-times and quicker charging before e-bikes really become true competitors, nonetheless not having to shell out a ridiculous amount just to have a spare battery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Need charging stations at trail heads lol. Battery exchange like an amazon locker.

i got to ride one and really liked it but I’m not target audience buyer. 

Charging stations, they will not allow building of new power stations, power plants, banned clean coal.

The power grid is like 1940's and in bad shape, where is this new found source of electricity when brown outs happen it seems.

No more loud generators in the parking lot?

On a more serious note, their bikes seemed to get very positive reviews and I hope they are able to work it out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ar2stroke said:

Charging stations, they will not allow building of new power stations, power plants, banned clean coal.

The power grid is like 1940's and in bad shape, where is this new found source of electricity when brown outs happen it seems.

A few tens of thousands of miles of transmission lines would help but aren’t built because they’re an eyesore and fought by nimby. Can’t build pipelines because they might blow up or leak so everything goes by Rail and truck - the 1940s level of efficiency. Can’t deliver bulk electricity by truck or rail lol.