1989 YZ250 lighting stator

OK guys the time has come where the last thing I need to do is hook up my headlight. The previous owner installed a lighting stator which has a single yellow wire coming off it for AC power to the headlight. I am guessing that I need a voltage regulator also. I was thinking that i need to wire the VR power to headlight power and VR ground to frame and ground headlight to frame. Is this all I should have to do?  I'm not the best at wiring and couldn't  really find anything online which gave me a definitive answer. I realize there light will fluctuate with RPM and i am ok with that. Thanks for any help.

That sounds like the way I would do it.

Though I doubt your lighting coil generates enough oomph to seriously heat up the voltage regulator, I hear it's a good idea to mount the VR on a heat sink or somewhere with airflow.

Keep us updated with how things work out. :thumbsup:

Edited by CaptDan

AC regulators short out the stator to bring the voltage down when it gets to high. that's why there is only a ground and one "hot" wire. the VR is essentially a variable load on the system in parallel with the headlight. 

3 hours ago, MCRIPPPer said:

AC regulators short out the stator to bring the voltage down when it gets to high. that's why there is only a ground and one "hot" wire. the VR is essentially a variable load on the system in parallel with the headlight. 

So i would tie it to the yellow stator wire  output and to the head light positive? Pardon my ignorance but thats seems strange. How is it that the full AC power load doesn't just go to the light? Just to make sure i follow you, I would have the headlight positive as well as yellow stator positive BOTH tied into the single yellow VR wire? Thanks again

yea that kind of regulator works by wasting power when the voltage goes above 12 or whatever it is set to. its a controlled short circuit. all of the power will go to the light until the voltage gets to 12 and the regulator will start to draw current and burn off power as heat. its not the best system in the world but it works. there are more advanced regulator/rectifiers that work by interrupting the power and don't get nearly as hot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MCRIPPPer said:

yea that kind of regulator works by wasting power when the voltage goes above 12 or whatever it is set to. its a controlled short circuit. all of the power will go to the light until the voltage gets to 12 and the regulator will start to draw current and burn off power as heat. its not the best system in the world but it works. there are more advanced regulator/rectifiers that work by interrupting the power and don't get nearly as hot. 

So I just tie all the positive wires together?