fe250 vs excf250 vs xcf250

47 YO, 5'11", 190lb, advanced enduro rider

Bike will be plated.  In Utah its pretty easy to plate any of these.  Bike will be used for mountain single track, with a helping of Moab and southern Utah desert. I also like to go on long distance multi day off road rides such as "The Tour of Idaho" finnisher #50.

I like smaller displacement four strokes.  They do what I need, get good fuel ecomomy, and don't try and kill me when I am really tired.

I was looking Pretty hard at the FE250, but the EXC250 may be less gimicky and lighter, Then I looked at the xcf250 which is the lightest of the bunch.

xcf would need the most work to get plated, and I am not sure about its stator output or how the transmission spacing is.  I like the link rear end of the xcf and the fe, but in all reality the pds shock would do the job for me.

How different are the motors between the excf and the xcf?

Thanks for any insite...

I cannot say on the engine differences besides maybe the excf is smogged.

The gear box is only different in gears 1 and 2. 3-6 are the exact same. The excf will have a lower 1st gear and lower 2nd gear which will increase the gap between 2nd and 3rd. I think that 1st gear on those bikes is painfully low and prefer the xc line for that reason. My XC runs lights just fine and has been plated in South Dakota with minimal effort. 

• Like 1

Have u considered the 350’s? I think they’re very friendly but have a little more Lowend and bark when you want it.

I can personally only comment from a 2 stroke point of view but I rode a XCW and went to an XC. Should be similar as your excf to XCF and FE should be a bit of a mix of the 2. Transmission is defenitly a closer ratio but you will like if you’re an advanced rider. Feels more aggressive. I would also do with Linkage. More maintenance but works better for an advanced rider. Suspension should also be huge on your Checklist. FE and EXC should come with the explor Suspension? Then XCF should be aer. This is all assuming the 2 and four stroke are the same which I’m sure they are. I suggest XCF for you personally if you ride more aggressively. 

I ride FE 350. As MXR suggested it has a little more low end but is still very manageable in the tight woods. I ride in Vermont in a lot of slippery and craggy terrain. This bike eats rocks and roots and is super fun even bottled up with street legal pipe.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the input. I think I have settled on the xcf250. I have looked at the 350, but didn’t find it had any advantage for me unless drag racing a 250. I also value fuel economy and the smaller motor on a whole will go farther on a gallon of gas.

• Like 1