Ty Tremaine on Beta, Alta halts business

I thought it was fake news but a dealer on the Alta board had mentioned that it is true, that their Alta rep is now unemployed.  A real shock to me.  

• Like 1

Are they actually profitable?  If Tesla has yet to make money I would tend to think not. 

• Like 1

An article says they have sold 1,000 bikes for far this year, at $12,000 per bike, that is $12,000,000.  Don't know if it cost $24,000,000 to make those 1,000 bikes though.  

38 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I thought it was fake news but a dealer on the Alta board had mentioned that it is true, that their Alta rep is now unemployed.  A real shock to me.  

I read that as well, and didn't want to post unless it seemed legitimate.  Its a real bummer as Alta has all the promise of a great bike with huge advantages for certain customers. 

It's weird because they have really been having some great reviews, media success, and podium at endurocross. Seems like they were on the verge of really breaking out. 

Hopefully, a large investor jumps in soon with some capital! 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

It has to be sustainable.  The fact that they chewed through capital and fell flat tells me it isn't.  Tesla is getting propped up, which is really a joke as the average person can't afford one and its just a toy like the Alta but a much more expensive one.  Mfg. cost has to be very high primarily from the battery.  The big automakers can possibly play games with profits to support an electric vehicle market presence, but a small startup with no other products? 

• Like 2

The one possibility that may be a caveat is that they are located right in the heart of the tech industry. There seems to be lots of interest for alternative transportation in that crowd. Many of these young, wealthy tech entrepreneurs are always looking for a new project to invest in and hopefully that's an avenue being sought after. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

I agree but sooner or later you have to make money! I think that battery tech and its cost/performance will ultimately dictate that. Essentially there is a wait on the battery to catch up. When you look at the rest it seems easy, I'd bet less costly and labor intensive than building IC engines especially 4strokes.

Enough about Alta, someone will buy the company :confused: 

Where did the story about Ty Tremaine come from? His Instagram shows him prepping for the ISDE on a white 4t, it's hard to tell what it is for sure? Chris Cullins will come to the rescue I'm sure..

Edited by Johnny Depp

6 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Enough about Alta, someone will buy the company :confused: 

Where did the story about Ty Tremaine come from? His Instagram shows him prepping for the ISDE on a white 4t, it's hard to tell what it is for sure? Chris Cullins will come to the rescue I'm sure..

Don't know anything about Ty Tremaine coming to Beta. First I heard about the Alta thing was the article this morning. Since it said employees where just sent home Tremaine probably didn't know anything about it ethier. 

Bad time as we're all about to leave for Denver (us as soon as I get off work today). My guess is he'll still race the Alta this weekend since that's the setup he has and it's working good. Hopefully he has his race bike and it's not with Alta. If not he should still be ok since last time I talked to his Dad I think they had 3 Alta's at home. 

However I would suspect Beta is giving him a call. I don't have strong feels towards Alta one way or the other, but having another manufacturer there with a team was good! Now he'll be looking for a ride which being a rider of the caliber he is will have a trickle down affect to other riders and teams. As we look at the possibilities for next season this just makes things tougher to land a decent ride. 

The last 3 EX races are all right in a row starting this weekend so it would be tough for him to jump on a Beta now. However he may just show up on one this weekend, I don't know 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1

Not surprised. The ground-breakers rarely are the ones that go on to great success. Unfortunately, there is nothing truly unique about them. Hundreds of other companies have a ton more battery knowledge and experience, lots of other companies have a ton more motorcycle and dirt bike manufacturing knowledge, and they all have a bunch more $$$. 

My guess is they sell or license the motor/battery design to someone or get bought outright and that's it for Alta. Though I'm sure their engineers will be integral with whomever acquires them.

Edited by basalt

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

The one possibility that may be a caveat is that they are located right in the heart of the tech industry. There seems to be lots of interest for alternative transportation in that crowd. Many of these young, wealthy tech entrepreneurs are always looking for a new project to invest in and hopefully that's an avenue being sought after. 

Yeah that's where all the high tech people are, but I can say from personal experience that's the most expensive and least friendly business climate there is in the US.. I always thought it was a really strange place to be building bikes, even knew high tech ones. Plus those kinds of people probably look at dirt bike sales numbers and are likely to think it's not worth it. 

34 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Where did the story about Ty Tremaine come from?

Alta forum. Take with grain of salt. 

• Confused 1

Back in the day I bet on employment with Excelsior-Henderson instead of Victory ... bad choice in hindsight, but it illustrates the need for an on-going revenue stream to keep the lights on while the new/innovative product is being developed. Alta's may or may not have been the second coming of sliced bread, but the business doesn't seem to have been set up to realize the full potential.

Edited by motoxgiant
spelling

40 minutes ago, basalt said:

Not surprised. The ground-breakers rarely are the ones that go on to great success. Unfortunately, there is nothing truly unique about them. Hundreds of other companies have a ton more battery knowledge and experience, lots of other companies have a ton more motorcycle and dirt bike manufacturing knowledge, and they all have a bunch more $$$. 

My guess is they sell or license the motor/battery design to someone or get bought outright and that's it for Alta. Though I'm sure their engineers will be integral with whomever acquires them.

They certainly don't think lots of others have better battery tech. Their 2nd year design certainly is no turkey, and they DID have some serious cash to get this far. The HD thing falling apart was likely the killer. They had their eggs in the wrong basket. I don't care much for their home base, some of the most expensive real estate you could find. Hi-tech companies come and go every week around there.

• Like 1

I wonder what price effect this will have on existing Alta machines.  I would not be very excited by this news if I had just spent 12k on one of their bikes.    Too bad really... seems these green/tech companies only stay afloat if the tax payers pick up the tab...  

Edited by Nevada Al

Well apparently it's true, Ty Tremaine will be on a Beta. 

He must have known about it before today. They wasted no time. 

• Helpful 1

Good pick up for Beta. Should be interesting to see how he fairs in next race. 

Might have to head up to Everett on 27th

Edited by firffighter

Hi all, sorry for the vague and ambiguous news. I know there are a million questions, and you all deserve answers. We should be able to share a little more next week, so please hang tight.

-Marc

That is Honcho at Alta Owners Forum.

It sure looks like They have been sold, the board of directors was some top notch folks and it would be hard to think that they just shit the bed.

Here's Whymee:

Today at 2:45 PM

I am feeling better now.

I cannot say who, what, where or why, and I have been sworn to secrecy, but Alta has been purchased, according to my insider in the industry.

I am so happy that this evening, at the grocery store, I am going to buy a bag of oranges and celebrate...

11 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Good pick up for Beta. Should be interesting to see how he fairs in next race. 

Might have to head up to Everett on 27th

I live in Everett, shoot up and we can hit Walker Valley ahead of time :)