Clutch Cover options

So i'm out here on the internet getting my self worked up again on parts I need ?

This time i'm looking at replacement clutch covers for a 18 300 xcw. 

Got horror stories on breaking them? I've got an Enduro Engineering Skid plate which I think should help but really don't want to get stranded. 

Looking for feed back on the different options such as adding a guard to the stock, or replacing with a Hinson, Boysen, tusk, carbon pro, etc. 

If you did break the stock and lost oil, could you limp it home or would it cause severe damage? 

Limping it home would be a last resort, IMO, if there was no other option for retrieving it with your truck, getting a pull, etc..

Hope you carry a supply of Quick Steel in your pack. That and a piece of fiberglass cloth take up little room in a pack and can save a ride.

P3 has both covers and cover protectors.

http://p3carbon.com/product-category/wp-covers/clutch-cover-protectors/

21 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

Limping it home would be a last resort, IMO, if there was no other option for retrieving it with your truck, getting a pull, etc..

Hope you carry a supply of Quick Steel in your pack. That and a piece of fiberglass cloth take up little room in a pack and can save a ride.

P3 has both covers and cover protectors.

http://p3carbon.com/product-category/wp-covers/clutch-cover-protectors/

I just added Quick Steel to my kit and good point with the fiberglass. However unless I also carry enough oil I was thinking it might be a moot point, or would you typically be able to maintain enough tranny oil to ride it home after the patch?

Edited by Dirt Rider 12345

1 hour ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

I just added Quick Steel to my kit and good point with the fiberglass. However unless I also carry enough oil I was thinking it might be a moot point, or would you typically be able to maintain enough tranny oil to ride it home after the patch?

I guess it depends on the bike, its oil capacity, amount of damage and where, and how quickly you caught the damage.

I laid my XR400 over several years ago and sheered off an oil filter cover bolt, taking part of the cover with it. The engine holds 2 qts. and judging by the amount of oil on the ground, I figured there was still enough in there to do the job. Laid the bike over to prevent losing any more. Using a part of my jersey as a rag, fuel from the tank to clean things up and using a rock to roughen up the area for better adhesion, I used the Quick Steel and fiberglass in a trail-side repair. After letting it cure for 30 minutes, started it up and rode straight back to the truck.

Measured how much oil went back in it to get it to full and it was 1 1/4 qts.. So that means I still had 3/4 qt in it. Filled it up and the repair got me thru the whole week of out-of-state riding.

The thing about patching it trail-side is that you don't lose any more, as whatever is left in it will instantly be blown out due to crankcase pressure if you try to limp it home as is. Plus the amount of debris that might get into the engine along the way.

Edited by Trailryder42

Im running the tusk on my 150. Its hard to beat the 65$ price.  Its over kill here at home but i have peace of mind in rocks when out of town.  

Warning-mine leaked.  The oring slot is cut to deep. I cut and added a gasket and now it barely weeps.  If not for the price id return it. 

Ive got spare brake pedel,shifter,levers,handle bar,hand guards and clutch in the trailer.  Nothing worse than spending the $ to travel and not being able to ride due to breakage. 

I do carry epoxy putty too.