Oil filter orings supplier?

I change the 2 orings associated with my oil filter housing every oil change but I’m tired of paying like $12 for 2 orings at the dealer. I tried matching them up with some generic ones at the parts stores but none of them had anything that would work. 

Does anyone know a source for the equivalent ones I can buy in like a pack of 10 

In 55k miles never changed mine....they only need changing if damaged

If you must then ebay

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GuyGraham said:

In 55k miles never changed mine....they only need changing if damaged

If you must then ebay

I changed out mine once in (2) oil changes. I don't know about 55k miles, but I don't think keeping the originals in place for at least 3 or 4 changes will matter.

But regardless, it sounds like your dealer is overcharging you. 

Inside small o ring: 1.9 mm material diameter x 13mm i.d.   OEM price  $1.66 from RMATV 

Cover o ring:  2.4 mm material diameter x 52.6 mm i.d.       OEM price    $2.92 from RMATV

FWIW, I don't cheap out on the (2) drain plug washers and replace them with oem ones at every oil change. Too many horror stories out there of stripped out threads from over torquing.

The o ring material is probably Buna-N, but I have no confirmation of this. Maybe others can jump in.

Nitrile (Buna-N)

Temperature range: Between -65 degrees Fahrenheit and 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Suited for: General purpose seals, such as petroleum oils, water and some hydraulic fluids. Buna-N is also resistant against tears and abrasive treatment.

Deficiencies: Buna-N can have problems with automotive brake fluid, ketones, phosphate ester hydraulic fluids, and nitro and halogenated hydrocarbons. While it is ozone and weather resistant, this resistance is not infallible but can be supported through compounding.

Applications: Nitrile functions well in applications that have limited temperature and resistance requirements.

Yes they are nitrile and 70shore hardness

If you change the sump plug washers for copper then you can anneal them each time and re-use instead of keep buying one time use oe Al crush washers

Edited by GuyGraham
  • Like 1

+2 on reusing the orings. The design is expressly to be able to reuse them Also be sure not to over tighten the bolts on the oil filter housing. Once the gap disappears and effort increases, that is it, no need to crank down further. The oring seals AND hold things very nicely. Orings last until deformed or cracked. Years and years.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GuyGraham said:

Yes they are nitrile and 70shore hardness

If you change the sump plug washers for copper then you can anneal them each time and re-use instead of keep buying one time use oe Al crush washers

Same material as Buna N, called by different names. :thumbsup:

I change all the crush washers every time, I bought like 100 in both sizes. But thanks I’ll look on that RMATV site.

9 hours ago, William1 said:

Orings last until deformed or cracked. Years and years.

It is ozone which attacks nitrile and causes it harden and crack. Sealed inside the engine they are protected and so last a long time enabling many reuses. The design also prevents over clamping and therefore damaging them

HiFlo 139 oil filters come with o-rings.

I changed oil filter and OEM crush washers every other oil change. Worked fine, hardly any metal on my drain bolt or in the filter. Just use a torque wrench and put your crush washer in the right direction!

50 minutes ago, mightymikee said:

Exactly what I was looking for man, I appreciate it. Just ordered. 

• Like 1

Dumping money down the drain when there are so many better things to spend it on...

In 13 riding seasons I've never needed to replace the cover o-ring. The filter o-ring I've only replaced once after I realized I didn't have it. Probably was missing for years. As mentioned above some oil filters come with the o-rings. Wix filters are another that include the o-rings.

17 hours ago, Dmouse said:

When you buy the oil filter from NAPA, the two O-rings are included

Do you know what the Napa part # is ?

25 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Dumping money down the drain when there are so many better things to spend it on...

In 13 riding seasons I've never needed to replace the cover o-ring. The filter o-ring I've only replaced once after I realized I didn't have it. Probably was missing for years. As mentioned above some oil filters come with the o-rings. Wix filters are another that include the o-rings.

It’s $15 I’m not worried about it. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:
25 minutes ago, Killian665 said:
It’s $15 I’m not worried about it. 

Since you like giving it away can I have $15 lol

You gonna send me some Orings lol?

• Haha 1