300RR sputtering

My 2018 300RR is sputtering on high RPM. It is hard to explain but I'll try. I get on the gas on second gear, after a while engine gets on the pipe but after a very short time on the pipe it starts doing something like a combination of rev limiting and sputtering. If I roll back on the throttle and get on, sometimes it will rev out the pipe properly. 

My Power valve is screwed in half way from flush, the bike is stock jetting. Is this how the power valve limits the power of the bike? Or is it a jetting issue?

What altitude do you ride at, have you ever left the bike sitting with the petcock on? Checked your float level?

20 minutes ago, digitalzombie said:

My 2018 300RR is sputtering on high RPM. It is hard to explain but I'll try. I get on the gas on second gear, after a while engine gets on the pipe but after a very short time on the pipe it starts doing something like a combination of rev limiting and sputtering. If I roll back on the throttle and get on, sometimes it will rev out the pipe properly. 

My Power valve is screwed in half way from flush, the bike is stock jetting. Is this how the power valve limits the power of the bike? Or is it a jetting issue?

Have you tried a new plug?

6 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Have you tried a new plug?

No I have not. If it is the plug, I would need to look at why the plug fouled in the first place to root cause it. 

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Jetting. Move needle clip up one position as it sounds too rich due to sputter. 

needle clip up will lean it out?

Just now, shrubitup said:

Yes; other way to richen it. 

ahh, I have a good amount of goop (spooge) coming off the silencer as well, to the point that it pretty much drips on to the swingarm. Will this lessen that as well?

6 minutes ago, digitalzombie said:

ahh, I have a good amount of goop (spooge) coming off the silencer as well, to the point that it pretty much drips on to the swingarm. Will this lessen that as well?

Yes it will. Tune air screw and pilot jet though too (secondary spooge maker to the needle). 

• Like 1

What altitude do you ride at, have you ever left the bike sitting with the petcock on? Checked your float level?

altitude is 2000-8000, i let the fuel petcock on all the time.

22 hours ago, digitalzombie said:

altitude is 2000-8000, i let the fuel petcock on all the time.

Your float valve is new and stops flow of fuel into motor but as a general habit, you should turn gas off during transport or storage. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

Your float valve is new and stops flow of fuel into motor but as a general habit, you should turn gas off during transport or storage. 

i never thought of it that way, older carb can have issues with float valve and constant pressure huh.

Wondering how much oil you are using? Had similar happen when OI system went full rich.

Wondering how much oil you are using? Had similar happen when OI system went full rich.

How many tanks of gas can you go when OI goes full rich?