CRFJeff

Plating a New KTM 2 Stroke in MA

Hey guys, 

I've got my heart set on a new KTM 300 xc-w, but unfortunately, I would need it to be street legal for it to be usable in the areas I like to ride. I've seen a few plated 300s on the used market, and I'm wondering how hard it is to get these things registered and inspected. Do they come with the "MOTORCYCLE" designation on the title? Will they pass inspection? I'd like to have the process be as above-board as possible and avoid tangling with any out of state registration type workarounds. Greatly appreciate any input!

I don't know what the 300s' certificate of origin/title will say, but I plated my DRZ E a few years ago in MA and I had to go through the DMVs' division of 'safety and compliance' to get it done

I don't know about MA, but most KTMs when purchased new you can opt for a street title and tags or non street title.

Here in PA buy a new KTM and get a tag. I have a tag on my Freeride.

I should add that getting a plate and being "street legal" and passing inspection are different things.

My KTM is not inspected, I usually don't bother, it is tagged and insured and for my uses thaty's good enough. I added a rear brake switch and horn for safety reasons. It was prewired with switches. Comes with hi/lo beam, speedo, etc. Makes it easy to add all the other stuff.

Edited by laoch

The certificate of origin on Ktms just say “motorcycle” not “off road only”.  Get insurance for it and walk into rmv and say you want to register your motorcycle.  Done.  Now to get an inspection sticker you will need tires, blinkers, horn, high beam, etc...

On 10/19/2018 at 12:11 PM, dcdr said:

The certificate of origin on Ktms just say “motorcycle” not “off road only”.  Get insurance for it and walk into rmv and say you want to register your motorcycle.  Done.  Now to get an inspection sticker you will need tires, blinkers, horn, high beam, etc...

x2!  I have plated 3 KTM 2 strokes - 2 300s and a 200  - all XCWs.  They might have trouble finding the bike in their database but if your patient, they will figure it out right there.  One time the lady behind the counter said "it must be a new model" so she overrode the system and gave me my plate.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, bullymadison said:

x2!  I have plated 3 KTM 2 strokes - 2 300s and a 200  - all XCWs.  They might have trouble finding the bike in their database but if your patient, they will figure it out right there.  One time the lady behind the counter said "it must be a new model" so she overrode the system and gave me my plate.

They don’t give AF as long as you have proof of insurance and the 700$-800$ To  fork over. 

I'm in PA, don't know about MA. When I bought my KTM 300 XCW, I told the dealer I wanted title, registration, tag and taxes in the deal. No problem, there was a plate on it when I picked it up.

Now, in PA, just having registration and a plate does not make the bike street legal. For that you need the registration and plate and insurance and a state safety inspection. There is a long list of safety stuff your bike has to have to pass inspection. Stuff like high and low beam headlights, horn, brake lights, a high-beam indicator light on the dash board, chain guard, etc.

Most of my friends have PA plates on their bikes, but do not have the safety inspection, so we are not street legal. But we only ride on bikes for transit sections between trails, and so far, no one has been bothered by the local or state police. YMMV, of course.