DS Sphere updates

We just got the latest sphere kit in today. Here are a list of improvements and upgrades.

1. Full length 12mm rebound rod. The rod no longer tapers down to thin wall. Increased strength and durability. We have seen a few of them break at the jam nut. This was mostly caused by over-torque or using air guns to remove the adjusters. I had another shop install and both of them broke. DS was cool enough to warranty the rods but I have been weary of selling the cartridges with out installing them. Now I am not.

2. Steel jam nuts vs. aluminum. Also 12mm of course. Rebound adjust grew to 12mm to accommodate the new rod size.

3. Cartridge shaft seal stiction improved. This is going to be the deal maker for these cartridges. I feel almost zero drag on the seal now. This will improve feel and performance greatly. They feel like butter smooth. I had to check to see if they left the seal out it's that good. One of the arguments vs. an open chamber design is the fact that that seal is there. Well if you can't feel it does it matter now?

4. Compression head machining looks to be handled after the fact still but the machining is cleaner than the past.

5. Bladder re-designed. Seamless, softer, and bigger. Overall better feel and faster response. We have updated a lot of these from the early design. This is possible for all older spheres if you want to update them.

6. Same price. As of now at least. Ready to ship but limited quantities.

We will be testing some new settings with the updates. I feel all prior settings need to be re-evaluated due to the improvements. If you guys are looking for next level in performance this is it. We give 100% money back guarantees on these cartridges and install the most out of any shop in the US for MX.

• Like 2

We just got the latest sphere kit in today. Here are a list of improvements and upgrades.

1. Full length 12mm rebound rod. The rod no longer tapers down to thin wall. Increased strength and durability. We have seen a few of them break at the jam nut. This was mostly caused by over-torque or using air guns to remove the adjusters. I had another shop install and both of them broke. DS was cool enough to warranty the rods but I have been weary of selling the cartridges with out installing them. Now I am not.

2. Steel jam nuts vs. aluminum. Also 12mm of course. Rebound adjust grew to 12mm to accommodate the new rod size.

3. Cartridge shaft seal stiction improved. This is going to be the deal maker for these cartridges. I feel almost zero drag on the seal now. This will improve feel and performance greatly. They feel like butter smooth. I had to check to see if they left the seal out it's that good. One of the arguments vs. an open chamber design is the fact that that seal is there. Well if you can't feel it does it matter now?

4. Compression head machining looks to be handled after the fact still but the machining is cleaner than the past.

5. Bladder re-designed. Seamless, softer, and bigger. Overall better feel and faster response. We have updated a lot of these from the early design. This is possible for all older spheres if you want to update them.

We will be testing some new settings with the updates. I feel all prior settings need to be re-evaluated due to the improvements. If you guys are looking for next level in performance this is it. We give 100% money back guarantees on these cartridges and install the most out of any shop in the US for MX.

IMG_0232.JPG

So no more of this?(see pic)
I liked the design for easy cartridge assembly but durability is more important

Had a rod break on my r&d set after 8 revalves but I guess thats to be expected.
The coating is applied inside the bore of the rod making it a weak point in the design.
  • Like 1

Wait, so these $1600 cartridges also were having durability/failure issues?  Is this a joke?

3 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

Wait, so these $1600 cartridges also were having durability/failure issues?  Is this a joke?

100% of the ones we have installed are good.

• Like 1

100% of the ones we have installed are good.
That's good. Having flashbacks of the Ohlins cartridges that would bend rods every 50h or so. Sometimes less.

Is this cheaper than installing a KYB kit? I would think it's not better performance, maybe equal??

I have been waiting for a set of the updated bladders here in oz since June. Were to be supplied under warranty but seems may be better to just buy them from you if you have them In stock.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:51 PM, n2dirt said:

1. Νever occurred this to the sets I installed but never-ever used air gun to remove the comp adjuster.

3. Compared to almost ALL other CC carts (from Kyb SSS up to Cone Valves) I have experience, still stiction was minimal. In one occasion, I noticed during servicing a dead spot when I was bleeding the cart. It needed a new seal as the old one was moving a little, so I replaced both. Very reliable carts and very positive that an already good area is improved.

5. Already have the new bladders and are softer, bigger and with slightly more conical end. If you install them on the 1st gen black carts, probably you will not be able to install the aluminum top rings.

Edited by dirtbird

On 10/22/2018 at 8:14 AM, chrismxer said:

Is this cheaper than installing a KYB kit? I would think it's not better performance, maybe equal??

I would like to know that too. Debating whether to switch my AER's to KYB or Sphere's. I've owned several Yam 450's and I know they work and know how to service them so that has me going that direction. If the Spheres are much better than the KYB's  I'm open to that.

The price isn't going to be much different by the time you buy carts and adapters

I can't comment on the performance of the D's , but I done loads of sss and none have impressed me much , some were no better than the forks I took out , this is compared to a bladder WP fork , not a 4cs , I also fitted full kyb to a rmz 250 and still was not that impressed ,finally I rode a kyb kit (£3000) fork on a 350 ,again not impressed compared to aer

If you have 4cs or xplor I can see both as an upgrade