02 yz250 mods?

I’m looking to swap out my 02 frame to an aluminum frame any tips on what I should do?

why? the steel framed bikes are considered as good or better than the aluminum by most folks. 

• Like 3

why? the steel framed bikes are considered as good or better than the aluminum by most folks. 

I enjoy the look of them and my frame is bashed up whoever had it before me ran it without a skid plate

dang that sucks. you could probably find a steel frame in better shape. the engine is basically the same on the 99+ steel frames and the subsequent aluminum frames so the engine should fit. the suspension is another thing. 

There's a frame swap thread on the site somewhere, you should be able to find it fairly easily.  If you really have your heart set in the aluminum frame, It'd prolly be less money to sell the 02 and find an 06+

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LasVegasMx said:

Where would you guys suggest I buy a frame

Ebay.

You could look for a grenaded one on CL. Then you have plenty of other spare parts as well.

Only has surface rust on bottom rails. Can be blasted off and powder coated for fresh newness. 

Check VIN, clean and not in system. 

BFE0F526-9546-49FE-AE28-32988A5F9615.jpeg

8898AD33-2FDB-45B6-8524-8CD33BD737FD.jpeg

82E8BB0E-C741-4FA1-86E8-07AA8506D65B.jpeg

65BDDA4A-F271-44D6-AE11-C85C85C66686.jpeg

2153F46C-0E70-483C-958B-7B9F0FCA8248.jpeg

C03F4E7E-AE9C-4AC4-8F9D-D27DB970F8F9.jpeg

My advice... find a mint steel frame on ebay, they show up all the time. $400 shipped. I have seen them shipped to $200... I used to want aluminum frame until I seen all the pros brag about the steel.. and the $700 tag,  learned to love the looks of the steely, looks sharp with updated plastics... here's my 04, just missing newer tank shrouds.. still a great looking bike imo

I've got myself talked into the 09+swing arm 4 stroke  swap... got the swingarm, just looking for a deal on a 09+ complete wheel... believe it's about 2lbs savings if not more... looking into lightest tires etc...

20180915_161737.jpg

Edited by TwoFiddyYZ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LasVegasMx said:

I looked around I only found one for way too much

Exactly, but yes ebay is the way, I almost killed myself on a 660 raptor bent everything.. got the frame shipped coast to coast within 3 days with a title... for $200... but I can promise you you won't see an aluminum yz250 2 stroke frame for that price, it's always $500+ before shipping,lol. Not worth it, you save not even 3 lbs.... not to mention all the work to swap everything. And still the pro prefer the steely, so why bother?

Edited by TwoFiddyYZ

5 hours ago, HansLanda said:

You could look for a grenaded one on CL. Then you have plenty of other spare parts as well.

Probably  the best way if you really want it. If the looks are getting to you just ride the bike more.... it'd take a big eyed sum bitch to look at the frame and where he's going at the same time. :ride:

Edited by TwoFiddyYZ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LasVegasMx said:

I looked around I only found one for way too much

An aluminum frame is not going to be cheap anywhere you find it. 

As the previous  poster said, it's only surface rust. Blast and paint or powder coat, do it in silver and pretend it's aluminum. Damage can be fixed more easily and if weight is a concerned, don't eat for a day or two. 

• Like 3