XR650R dual-sporting milestone

I’ve been working on this for a couple of months (yes I’m really slow). Major milestone today was a successful state inspection. So Tusk kit mated with Baja Designs rectifier and JNS Engineering headlight in an XR650L housing/shroud/number-plate did the trick, plus a set of Kenda dual sport skins. Next step is sending inspection form with DMV form to DMV to convert title from “Dirt Bike” to “Motorcycle”, followed by DMV registration and tags. The end’s in sight.

• Like 2

I got lucky and found mine out here in California. Converting them here is a no go anymore.

I wish I had your deserts, but glad I have our laws (Virginia).
  • Like 1

I got lucky and found mine out here in California. Converting them here is a no go anymore.
Not true.
You can pretty much do this easily in 50 states...of course with $ being the hardest part.
Cali was easier than Florida.
  • Like 1

Not true.
You can pretty much do this easily in 50 states...of course with $ being the hardest part.
Cali was easier than Florida.

Just to follow up, confirmed title change was made by DMV last Friday afternoon, got registration and tags last Saturday, and drove to work and back on Thursday. So glad that PITA is over. Now time to get a bunch of miles under my belt to get used to this thing. First fix is a low idle. Really felt stressed three times when it stalled sitting at a stop light and had to kick-start with traffic waiting behind me. Got it done though.
  • Like 2

Good for you. A worthy battle. It shall pay off.
Get a brand new pilot just to feel 100% confident on that. Just my opinion. I like new in my hand fresh out the bag jets.
And check your float level.

Good for you. A worthy battle. It shall pay off.
Get a brand new pilot just to feel 100% confident on that. Just my opinion. I like new in my hand fresh out the bag jets.
And check your float level.

Will do, Eric. Thanks for the advice.