1985 XR200R question

Hey guys, new to TT. Had an '85 XR200 fall in my lap the other day, but has a nasty top end rattle. I would really like to do away with the dual carb setup and go to a single carb. Question is: Will a cylinder & head off an '86+ bolt directly to the '85 cases? Any input is appreciated

• Like 1

It will and use the 86-95 airboot, carb, and manifold.

Model……….….model code.. bore… stroke… displ
XR200R  RFVC..….... ME05…. 67…. 56.5… 199.2
XR250R 84-85 /XL. ME06..… 75…. 56.5… 249.6
XR250R 86-04……. ME06/8... 73…. 59.5… 249.0

The 73mm bore will give you 236cc.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 2

Thx, Chuck. So better to go with a 250 cylinder & head than an 86+ 200? If so, reliability?

• Like 1

Run don't walk away from this bike.  There are no top end parts out there to repair these anymore.

It's blunt I know.  Its also a bummer that an otherwise fantastic motorcycle is rendered useless by lack of parts.

'84-'85 is a two year only deal and Honda dropped support as soon as they could.

No the 2 valve motor will not drop in.

The xr250 underwent a major top end change in '96 and parts are not backwards compatible.  You can find parts for the 96+ xr250, but they will not be of any use on your '85.

Edited by chadzu
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, chadzu said:

Run don't walk away from this bike.  There are no top end parts out there to repair these anymore.

It's blunt I know.  Its also a bummer that an otherwise fantastic motorcycle is rendered useless by lack of parts.

'84-'85 is a two year only deal and Honda dropped support as soon as they could.

No the 2 valve motor will not drop in.

Was this the RFVC head ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ar2stroke said:

Was this the RFVC head ?

yes

• Like 1

Just now, chadzu said:

yes

Sad, the XR200R the real one back in the day was an AWESOME bike. The 2 valve (wish they would bring back the XR's like they used to make)... Heck something more for normal riding and not 5,000 moving parts to require replacement at 30 hours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RLamb said:

Thx, Chuck. So better to go with a 250 cylinder & head than an 86+ 200? If so, reliability?

84-85 XR200R/XR250R used a new engine design and chassis,  the  engine which was redesigned for 86 with a longer stroke, oil cooler, and single carb. The 84-85 XR200R engine was a small bore XR250R engine along with other changes to suit the smaller displacement.  The problem is they over heated when ridden hard and the easiest thing to do was rejet. I had no problems with mine but it was ridden in the PNW and not the SW desert. Some have adapted the later oil cooler to the 84-85 engines, others have used the 84-85 XR250R cylinder as a big bore kit on the 86-95 XR250R. And as previously posts said finding parts can be a big problem. Best source for info on these 4 valve motors is the XR250-400 Forum.

The 86+ XR200R uses the 84-85 chassis with changes to house the old, but slightly modded, two valve motor. However in 93 the suspension was shortened for a lower seat along with a no reservoir shock.

I've owned and competed riding a wide variety of open class 2T and 4T bikes over the years and feel that best bike for my riding terrain is a modded 86+ XR200R because of size, weight, frame geometry, and engine power delivery.

• Like 1

I have a complete '84 XR200R motor that came in one of the parts bikes I bought. 

When i got it the rocker cover was unbolted. I pulled it off and looked, cam and rockers don't look bad. Haven't pulled the head off to look at the cylinder or anything else yet. 

• Like 1

Thx all for the input. Looks like I'm better off finding an '86+ instead of trying to deal with this '85. 

• Like 1

Just now, RLamb said:

Thx all for the input. Looks like I'm better off finding an '86+ instead of trying to deal with this '85. 

Sounds like Daniel may have what you need to get it going.  The camshaft and rocker arms wear out and cause lots of top end noise.  If the motor is running and you can work out a deal with Daniel it could be worth the effort.  It took a long time for these bikes to wear out in the first place, if you can find the parts you need there is no reason why you can't put it back on the trail.  I have a bottom end for one in my shop that I could pull parts from if you find you need anything.

• Like 1

One of the cool things about the '85 is that it has all of the good chassis bits.  best fork and tripple clamp, best shock, aluminum links.  That stuff is all gold and worth holding on to. It is my favorite xr200 color as well.

Edited by chadzu
  • Like 1

Sounds good. How much of a pain is it to keep the carbs synced?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chadzu said:

One of the cool things about the '85 is that it has all of the good chassis bits.  best fork and tripple clamp, best shock, aluminum links.  That stuff is all gold and worth holding on to. It is my favorite xr200 color as well.

My favorite as well. Wish I could still find the plastics in good condition, or if someone even made the color aftermarket. I've thought about powder coating my frame that red and doing the red/blue color combination. 

I have a complete '84-85 XR250R front end on the '84 parts bike, also have 2 aluminum shock linkages, an '84 and an '85. Also have the '86 aluminum put on my '90. Already sold the '86 rear shock though. 

Still trying to get things moved out of the old house and into the new. I gotta get the parts bikes over here so I can finish stripping down to frame

• Like 1

Plastic/ seat/tank  interchanges 84-85 XR200R/250R and 86+ XR200R, only problem is finding the livery you want. I did some research on livery and it varies a lot by year.

Colors Changes by year:
81-82   Tahitian Red (R23)
83        Flash Red (R119)
86        Flash Red with Shasta White (NH138)
91        Shasta White (NH138) with Rainbow Blue
94        Shasta White (NH138) with Real Blue
95        Shasta White (NH138) with Uranus Violet
97        Shasta White (NH138)
02        Fighting Red (R134)

Here is mongrel livery on an 01, side panels 84 XR250R, 84 skid plate, fenders/seat/tank 90 XR200, silver frame, black engine like early, etc.
1176703738_01XR200RWeightReduction(1).JPG.fe35392e7d9916779471c627dd308dd2.JPG 

Livery on my stock 87 XR250R.
591684863_XR250R(1).JPG.800e89342bee3e94ad5a2e6d3c26d41c.JPG

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

I've got an 84 250 that needs the rockers as well. Webb cam can resurface them for around $60 each I believe, but man... 240 bucks for 4 rockers... I'll put it together sometime. Good thing the bike was free. It came to me with a few other spares and in this condition. :smirk: I'm keeping my eyes open on the interweb to try and find some NOS or good used bits. Maybe I'll get lucky. 

20180328_215242.jpg

Great little trail bike. I've had 6. Prefer the 2 valve engine in the Prolink frame though. Not too hard to swap, but you do have to be creative with a few things. They all tend to have a bit of clatter in the top end. Some way more than others. But I'd run the RFVC engine after checking it out thoroughly with some really good oil till it gave up (something with zinc, which was removed from most oils a long time ago). And it could run a looonng time before that happens. I also like the dual carbs over the single (but I'm an old school Honda tech). They perform way better than the single setup on everything they were ever used on. 

• Like 2

The carbs don't exactly sync.  Each carb runs a different part of the powerband.  One is for idle and bottom, the other is for the rest of the powerband, if I remember correctly.  I owned an 84, and thought it was a great trail bike.

5 hours ago, RLamb said:

Sounds good. How much of a pain is it to keep the carbs synced?

• Like 1

One carb has the idle mixture and idle speed adustments, the other  carb starts opening about 1/2 thottle via progressive linkage. Like the old four barrel carbs on cars.

Getting back to your original question. The upper rattle mostly is the valve train, check it out. As for the 2 carbs, this is what I did in 1984 with a XR350R 2carb set up. I contacted Al Baker from XR'S Only. He had a set up to convert the 2 carbs to I single Mikuni flat slide carb with all the parts needed including a new throttle housing and cables. $205.00 plus tax. The bike ran like a dream, started hot or cold with no problems and even got better fuel mileage. NOW remember Al Baker is no longer there? I've heard some HORROR story's of the newer management? But take it for what it's worth. I was very happy with the carb set up and ran countless Enduro's and Harescrambles. My 2Cents!