Highway speeds

what are your experiences for running the dr z400s at hwy speed 60 -65 mph to get to the back roads. Is 3 to 4 hours ok on this bike at those speeds in hwy traffic?

Thankx

i do alot of highway riding to get to trails or commuting, i dont have a problem your bike can handle the highway , check your oil and balance your wheels you should be just fine

Make sure to vary your rpms. From what I have been rold, a steady cruise rpm luke a car is bad for the motor..

Depends on your gearing a lot. I’ve got stock 15/44 and have put on almost 2000 commuter miles this year averaging about 60mph. Lot of people say they’re ok on the highway. I will agree with above and say that not holding a constant rpm would help. However, it seems I have read quite a large number of posts of people who say they were “just blasting down the highway” when the bike shut off or blew. Not sure if they’re holding 85mph for a long time or what. Maybe that’s just coincidence, but I try not to ride more than 10-15 minutes of 70+ highway speeds at a time.

I blew my motor on the freeway.... was probably blasting along @ around 75 mph. the fastest I had ever gotten my bike was 95 mph. I only put about 2k miles on it before I blew it.

I blast down the highway for long runs but i do oil change like once a month or so not based on mileage , my bike has about 24k miles 15 41 gearing and 17inch wheels 

What is the standard gearing (which I have) on the stock bike. I'm not planning on riding faster than 60mph on hwy anyhow as I'm not in any hurry and if anyone wants to pass me that's no problem. So 55-60 is all I need. 

I really love this bike, not to mention it just looks so cool! So far I have had a mechanic take apart and service the front suspension and put in a new spring and service the rear suspension that is more appropriate for my height and weight 5' 11" and 195 lbs. I also put on a skid plate and new foot pegs. All of that including labor and parts has run me a total of  $800 and change.  Ouch, but I'm picking up the bike today. Yahoo.  I've had the (new to me) dr z400s for a few weeks now and I'm not sure how much more mods I should get into with it as it is a 2004 model. That's like what 14 years old now. should I keep making mods. There are so many great ways to upgrade this bike but I'm not so sure what is a reasonable investment...

Think of how much more things you can add to your bike if your not paying someone else to do the work ? A few good tools and factory service manual will allow you to do much of your own stuff plus nowadays there is always roughly 20 youtube videos showing "how to do .  .  .  " unlike when I started , "take apart , and see if it goes back together" learning curve .

• Like 1

great idea... got manual and tools, can't wait to disassemble and reassemble, get skills. And so many mods... I think I'm going to do the 3x3 and a new seat next! air power and exhaust, parts from thumper1 You tube is the way to go. Thanx good feed back

great idea... got manual and tools, can't wait to disassemble and reassemble, get skills. And so many mods... I think I'm going to do the 3x3 and a new seat next! air power and exhaust, parts from thumper1 You tube is the way to go. Thanx good feed back

Don't touch the airbox until you have a jet kit and are ready to remove the carburetor, disassemble/reassemble and install it.

Additional air = less power and a hotter running engine unless you add fuel.