Highway speeds

Depends on your gearing a lot. I’ve got stock 15/44 and have put on almost 2000 commuter miles this year averaging about 60mph. Lot of people say they’re ok on the highway. I will agree with above and say that not holding a constant rpm would help. However, it seems I have read quite a large number of posts of people who say they were “just blasting down the highway” when the bike shut off or blew. Not sure if they’re holding 85mph for a long time or what. Maybe that’s just coincidence, but I try not to ride more than 10-15 minutes of 70+ highway speeds at a time.

I really love this bike, not to mention it just looks so cool! So far I have had a mechanic take apart and service the front suspension and put in a new spring and service the rear suspension that is more appropriate for my height and weight 5' 11" and 195 lbs. I also put on a skid plate and new foot pegs. All of that including labor and parts has run me a total of  $800 and change.  Ouch, but I'm picking up the bike today. Yahoo.  I've had the (new to me) dr z400s for a few weeks now and I'm not sure how much more mods I should get into with it as it is a 2004 model. That's like what 14 years old now. should I keep making mods. There are so many great ways to upgrade this bike but I'm not so sure what is a reasonable investment...

Think of how much more things you can add to your bike if your not paying someone else to do the work ? A few good tools and factory service manual will allow you to do much of your own stuff plus nowadays there is always roughly 20 youtube videos showing "how to do .  .  .  " unlike when I started , "take apart , and see if it goes back together" learning curve .

• Like 1

great idea... got manual and tools, can't wait to disassemble and reassemble, get skills. And so many mods... I think I'm going to do the 3x3 and a new seat next! air power and exhaust, parts from thumper1 You tube is the way to go. Thanx good feed back

great idea... got manual and tools, can't wait to disassemble and reassemble, get skills. And so many mods... I think I'm going to do the 3x3 and a new seat next! air power and exhaust, parts from thumper1 You tube is the way to go. Thanx good feed back

Don't touch the airbox until you have a jet kit and are ready to remove the carburetor, disassemble/reassemble and install it.

Additional air = less power and a hotter running engine unless you add fuel.