Why do all the pros have a headlight/tailight?

Wondering this. I just got a 17 TX300 that doesn’t have either but when I watch any popular hard enduro race every bike looks like it’s either a XCW or TE model. Any reason for this? Obv sherco beta etc have there models too but they all seem to look similar. 

The factories are trying to sell their off-road models, so they have their pros race those models and leave the lights so that we can identify them as such.

Pretty sure lights are required for most enduro events in Europe as they often use certain portions of public roads either to access or link the course.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 1

I figured it was either a sponsor thing or it’s mandatory. Guessing mandatory though since everyone has one not just too pros. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KTMForecon said:

Yes mandatory for racing in Europe enduro

And its been that way for a very long time.

• Like 2

I wondered the same thing.  If it's  a rule and they arent running at night or where vehicles are present it's pretty stupid if it's a law.  Like Erzberg for example.  

Headlights and associated dodads are probably close to 5lbs and it would be nice to rid oneself of that lard.  At the end of DS season (now) I rip mine off.

3 hours ago, Sycamore said:

I wondered the same thing.  If it's  a rule and they arent running at night or where vehicles are present it's pretty stupid if it's a law.  Like Erzberg for example.  

Headlights and associated dodads are probably close to 5lbs and it would be nice to rid oneself of that lard.  At the end of DS season (now) I rip mine off.

Stupid laws everywhere for vehicles.  In the US, even motorhomes are required to have rear view mirrors fyi.

Joe

It’s not the law in the uk... besides that point, if it were for legality when riding road sections, a number plate would be needed which none seem to have?

21 hours ago, pat22043 said:

Some of the hard enduro races even have sections/sessions at night. The stock headlight/tailights are nice, but everyone has helmet mounted headlights

Yes, and many transfer sections take place on or across roads.. In many countries require street legal registration too... 

• Like 1

Everyone can just look it up. Rules are different in all different parts of the world and lots of riders ride enduro street legal. Watch lots of YouTube vids from Europe and you’ll see plates on all the bikes in some. Hell rules are different in every state here. .. plus some sections in Enduro world championships are in public streets for riding and racing. Lights and a plate are  not slowing anyone down.

http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/download/65355/no_cache/1/

Most would be shocked  at how far the racers have to travel daily on the highways and roads in the Romaniacs . 

3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

https://www.yamaha-racing.com/enduro2/about

This might explain EWC better

"An enduro motorcycle should be registered as street-legal, in order to compete. Riders have to take care of their own motorcycles during a race and need to be able to fix minor damages. At the end of each day they have to change tyres and perform a series of basic maintenance tasks in a restricted time limit."

• Like 2