Replate or resleeve?

Working on a 1999 RM125 that had the right exhaust valve fail and meet the piston. I've read multiple, yet conflicting solutions on rebuilding after this malfunction. This is standard bore and I'm used to the old days of honing if it isn't gouged to bad, but being that this is, "plated", is that even an option? If I'm going to fix it, I want to do it right, and I appreciate any expert opinions on this. Thank you and happy riding. 

Sky in Missouri

20181018_225312.jpg

20181018_225121.jpg

20181018_225400.jpg

Edited by SkySmith

5 hours ago, SkySmith said:

Recommendations on a legitimate place for doing such?

These are some of the main ones might be others where you live or location. Having it replated is pretty much standard practice and then you can just use the OEM Piston kits from Suzuki or Pro-X. As long as the Air filter is kept clean, HIGH quality fuel and maintenance schedules are performed it will server for many years to come.

http://www.powersealusa.com/

https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1

http://www.usnicom.com/

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I’d go with Powerseal their work is clean and fast. Send in a piston with the jug and they’ll match the bore 

• Like 1

Thank you and will do. Gotta get ahold of my friend and see when he wants to do this. His bike, his money, and my love of the 2-stroke. This will be his first. He currently races with a 2016 yz250f. I've been doing the service and repair work and have been after him to get a 2-stroke for years. Total rebuild on this one. Rubber up.

What Year is that Dam Lawn Mower??   2 strokes forever 👍 LOL !!  Rusty Gold

25 minutes ago, pecor said:

What Year is that Dam Lawn Mower??   2 strokes forever 👍 LOL !!  Rusty Gold

Holy crap. Didn’t notice the lawn mower. The ol Lawn Boy 2 stroke. That’s awesome!!!!

My parents had one back in the early 70’s

Bikes looking great too!!!!

• Like 1

Hahaha! It's a 1964-66 Lawn Boy. I'm the second owner, and yes I mow with it. It's been a trooper, for sure. Comes from a time when the mix directions on the shroud read, "Mix one pint SAE30 oil to one gallon of gasoline." Barely smokes mixed 16:1. @Jeremyf1, @pecor

20180530_185950.jpg

Edited by SkySmith
Forgot picture
  • Like 1

To wet and to cold here in South-central Missouri to mow. I think I am going to freshen her up this winter.  It is starting to get a little noisy in the crank area, but finding a rebuild kit for it may be next to impossible. It had the original plug in it when it was given to me. The man said all he ever did to it was put gas in it, clean the air filter, and sharpen the blade in the 30+ years he used it. I've never had a real filter on it. Just the wife's nylons.  Lol

15399954385531255781965.jpg

• Like 1

My vote is to turn this into a Lawn Boy restoration thread. lol

Take photos or try to find the picts of the original decals, get them reproduced, and go to town on it 😜 ha ha. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SkySmith said:

Yeah, I think the RH exhaust valve should still work.... Not! All 3 bolts holding the retaining plate were backed off past finger tight. May have caused this failure?

20181019_151601.jpg

Might check on Ebay but not sure of the condition.

LAWNBOY  might need a NEW PIPE!!!!

5 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

Might check on Ebay but not sure of the condition.

LAWNBOY  might need a NEW PIPE!!!!

I'm going with new exhaust valves. Not risking all the work and new parts just to have a used part fail. Got the pipe on already, @ar2stroke lol

15399990382131726889986.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jeremyf1 said:

LOL 👍👍👍

LET the games begin!!!

TOP END over-rev with the LAWNBOY!!!!!

43 minutes ago, SkySmith said:

I'm going with new exhaust valves. Not risking all the work and new parts just to have a used part fail. Got the pipe on already, @ar2stroke lol

15399990382131726889986.jpg

YOU could make it happen, call it the LAWNSTROKE!!!!

• Like 1